Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
    You're very welcome.

Mini-greenhouses are OK - generally keeping the foliage dry at the end of the season prevents mildew. As you probably know blossom end rot is caused by the roots of the plant drying out on hot days when the fruit is small - easiest fix is to give the roots plenty of growing space and arrange for some sort of auto-watering, like capillary matting.
    Thank for the tips Nick I will looking into capillary matting.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanM View Post
      Coming to think of it, as they will be indoors for a long while yet I will probably be better off picking up some greenhouse shelving as we have plenty of room in the spare room for these and no doubt I will need it.
      Come on, fellow grapes, own up: how many of you went green with envy when you read that?

Explanation for Ryan: plenty of folk on here struggle for window sill space or have differences of opinion with partners about house space given over to seedlings!

Comment

I'm shuttling most of my seedlings in between the conservatory in the day and the sitting-room at night. The upside is that they get plenty of light through the glass - the downside is that Mrs Nick is not too chuffed with the array of compost filled trays in the best room :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
          Come on, fellow grapes, own up: how many of you went green with envy when you read that?

Explanation for Ryan: plenty of folk on here struggle for window sill space or have differences of opinion with partners about house space given over to seedlings!
          I was in the same boat not so long ago until I purchased herself some succulents and cacti.... now she has an obsession with them and will start propogating from them soon enough..... Sharing my grow light and shelving did the trick

Comment

Your seedlings look to be in good fettle, they will need transplanting to give them more root space pretty soon though.
            Thanks Nickdub. Yes was planning to go straight to 100m pots but the weather isnt good enough for the same below plan yet so may have to do 75mm as then the 25 (5 of 5 varieties) best ones that want to take to fruit will fit under the cfl lights still

I'm shuttling most of my seedlings in between the conservatory in the day and the sitting-room at night. The upside is that they get plenty of light through the glass - the downside is that Mrs Nick is not too chuffed with the array of compost filled trays in the best room :-)

Comment

Potted on as advised by experts on here. Found it quite differcult to decide which 25 to keep so ended up potting 30. That maybe a mistake as dilutes growlights each have, but in conservatory yesterday numbers not an issue. Pic pre moving back to grow lights in evening
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by It never rains..it pours View Post
                Potted on as advised by experts on here. Found it quite differcult to decide which 25 to keep so ended up potting 30. That maybe a mistake as dilutes growlights each have, but in conservatory yesterday numbers not an issue. Pic pre moving back to grow lights in evening
                Looking good, i also potted on mine. I used John Innes No2 potting on soil, that stuff is supper fine and i found when watering it can go to slush... Anyone also use this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tom_Plants-09-03-18.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	2376742

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78898[/ATTACH]
                  Superb! I like them!

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

Shushhh!

Our lass as not ventured into the attic yet!
                    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Looking good, i also potted on mine. I used John Innes No2 potting on soil, that stuff is supper fine and i found when watering it can go to slush... Anyone also use this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78898[/ATTACH]

Looking really good Ryan!

JI is good stuff, but it is rather expensive, ok it you are growing just a few plants, but if you are bringing on an allotment load of stuff, it really is a "No Brainer"
                      "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

They look great ryanM. May I ask what pot size they are in now to get an idea of scale ?. I used John Innes no.1 and seems ok ie doesnt dry out quick like compost

Comment

Originally posted by It never rains..it pours View Post
                          They look great ryanM. May I ask what pot size they are in now to get an idea of scale ?. I used John Innes no.1 and seems ok ie doesnt dry out quick like compost
                          They are in 4" pots as that's what i had lying around. I have started to notice the top two leaves on each plant starting to curl down like in the pic below. I have read that this maybe caused if the growth of the plant is faster than the roots so the plants is trying to reduce the surface area of the leaf.

Or is this completely normal and i am over reacting a little?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaf_curl.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	604.0 KB
ID:	2376750

Comment

Yes, you are over reacting!

They are looking good.

Comment

Thank you for pot size. Afraid cant help on curling, odd ones of mine tend to do that. Hopefully an expert will be along soon to advise. Out of the 5 varieties I have , the gardeners delight seem to be the ones most keen to get leggy so you have done well to get such stocky plants. I see what you mean on the soil being fine

Comment

They are in 4" pots as that's what i had lying around. I have started to notice the top two leaves on each plant starting to curl down like in the pic below. I have read that this maybe caused if the growth of the plant is faster than the roots so the plants is trying to reduce the surface area of the leaf.

Or is this completely normal and i am over reacting a little?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78906[/ATTACH]
                                If you're worried that a plant may be out-growing its pot ,then knock it out of the concertina and have a look at the roots - if they're gotten to the bottom and stared to go round in a circle, then its time to pot them on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X