Storing garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing garlic

As a starter, I have grown and harvested 5 garlic bulbs that I planted in February.

My question is how do you store them? I have read several posts, different articles on various websites and they seem to contradict each other!! I have managed to plait them, but now dont know whether to hang them where there is light or complete darkness? Some say hang them as they are in a plait, others say inside netting/tights.

Advice please

the only advice i can think off they do not want to be stored in a warm place else they will not keep outside toilet is a good place or shed that do's not get to warm it do's not matter about light if you can remember this autumn plant next years end of september or early november jacob
    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

I did an experiment last year with stored onions. I plaited them all and stored some in the dark in a hut and others hung up in my greenhouse in the light. The ones in the light stored better and lasted longer!

As garlic is also an allium it will probably be best stored in a light frost free place ie near the kitchen window would be handy
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I stored mine last year in the shed which has a bit of light from a very small window. They stored there successfully from about end August until April/May time.

I think the biggest trick is to make sure they are dried off properly.
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Shed/garage is favourite. Some light helps. My garlic + onions kept all winter in the shed/garage/workshop (plaits hung from the cross beams of the roof) on the side of my cottage. No heating, but reasonable light from a couple of windows.

Comment

Oh dear
            I've no space anywhere on my allotment so all my onions and garlic are at home. Very tiny flat so took the pictures down in the hall and hung them up there. It's cool but no natural light, do you think they'll be OK?
            The only other place, equally inconvenient would be the loo....but at least visitors would not be walking in faced with a wall of garlic and onions and a huge bag of potatoes, they would just get a surprise when they ask to use the facilities.
            best wishes
            Sue

Comment

Thanks all for your answers.

Shed it is!

Incidentally I am planning on buying some more but am having difficulties in working out where to buy from as most online seem to be too large an amount (I dont have an allotment). Is it possible local garden centres will have some or do I need to buy online? I have seen some various offers on sites like reallygarlicky and thegarlicfarm, but dont want to buy too many as I reckon I only need about 25 cloves if that.

Comment

I bought 5 bulbs of organic garlic from rivernene.co.uk last year and planted the ones that started sprouting before I got round to using them. Got a nice crop from them!
                You are a child of the universe,
                no less than the trees and the stars;
                you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Garlic

Hi, my garlic is drying in the garage this week, I had loads so for two weeks after harvesting I had some hanging up in the greenhouse, conservatory and garage drying before moving them to the garage this week, I hope to plait it this weekend and was then going to hang it in the garage which does have a window. I originally bought the garlic bulbs from thegarlicfarm in the Isle of Wight and although haven't used any yet, they are a mostly a good size and beautiful and white!

Comment

My garlic is not good this year, very strong necked and it has not bulbed up. I didn't buy any fresh this year, but planted some of my stored garlic. I had bought last year from the Garlic Farm, so assumed it would be ok. Perhaps this wasn't the best thing to do ?
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

If garlic is stored too cold, it thinks it has had it's winter chilling and starts into growth!

Comment

That'll be why my garlic sprouted in the fridge!
                        You are a child of the universe,
                        no less than the trees and the stars;
                        you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X