No announcement yet.

Epic Aubergine Fail!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susie I grew Pinstripe F1's last year - I picked them because they're fairly small so I hoped that would increase my odds. I sowed them on 7th Feb, but they were old seeds so I probably didnt get any to germinate until at least mid-March.

They lived outside, hidden in the tomato jungle, and I had about 10 aubergines off two plants - not loads but for a rubbish summer in Leeds I was pretty happy.

Maybe beginners luck, however at the very least they are very pretty plants, so give it a go. Expect nothing and then you may just well be surprised

Everyone else... shame on you. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!!

Comment

I have been doing some reading about them as like you, last year I got lots of flowers but no fruits. There was someone who swore by using a sonic toothbrush. As it happens I have my old one still so I am going to take my overwintered ones and try them in pots, lots of feed and a good tap on each plant with the toothbrush.apparently it mimics the vibration of a bee. What's there to lose I say!
      https://roosorganicallotment.wordpress.com/
      Growing by trial and error in Kent

Comment

The lack of fruit must be because the flowers are not being properly pollinated. Interesting that plants grown amongst toms seemed to do the best. I think I will grow with some phacelia - or borage- they usually attracts lots of pollinators.

Comment

Or is it to do with male v female flowers.....

Comment

Originally posted by mrsbusy View Post
            The lack of fruit must be because the flowers are not being properly pollinated. Interesting that plants grown amongst toms seemed to do the best. I think I will grow with some phacelia - or borage- they usually attracts lots of pollinators.
            I don't think it's as simple as that, I find that the right climatic conditions are very important, the pollination bit is the easy bit, it's whether they hold onto the fruit that is more difficult.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X