the plot has gone to pot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the plot has gone to pot

Due to my life being very hectic at the moment my allotment has fell into an overgrown jungle and all of my hard work has been for nothing so it looks like im going to have to visit the drawing board again ...

I was thinking of going down there with the strimmer and then rotorvating the whole plot and covering it up until next march with some black membrane

has any one done anything similar as i have read great a lot of negatives to rotorvating a plot ..

The nasties i have on my plot are bind weed , brambles , tich grass and lots of nettles ...

many thanks roadkill
    http://newplot.blogspot.com/

rain rain go away (2009)

rain rain rain (2010)

I used a rotavator on a similar plot full of brambles and bindweed last year. All it did was break the ground up a bit. I had to dig the whole lot by hand to get up akk the bramble and nettle roots. I cut all the bindweed roots into bits and they are still showing themselves on a regular basis. I know it is tough but digging is better in the long run. My virgin ground took 4 months to dig at about 5 hours a week. The plot is 45ftx20ft.
    I suggest clear it flat with a strimmer then just dig or cover it with a strong membrane and then build raised beds on top, fill with top soil. Raised bed method gets you planting veg quickly and no digging required.

It is worth it!! I am really enjoying my first year with a polytunnel and a stack of veg.

cheers
    Lance

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      I used a rotavator on a similar plot full of brambles and bindweed last year. All it did was break the ground up a bit. I had to dig the whole lot by hand to get up akk the bramble and nettle roots. I cut all the bindweed roots into bits and they are still showing themselves on a regular basis. I know it is tough but digging is better in the long run. My virgin ground took 4 months to dig at about 5 hours a week. The plot is 45ftx20ft.
      I suggest clear it flat with a strimmer then just dig or cover it with a strong membrane and then build raised beds on top, fill with top soil. Raised bed method gets you planting veg quickly and no digging required.

It is worth it!! I am really enjoying my first year with a polytunnel and a stack of veg.

cheers
      Lance
      did it make it easyer once you had gone over it with the rotorvator?

rain rain go away (2009)

rain rain rain (2010)

Comment

i've had the same , worked all winter getting most of the plot looking nice and life got abit hectic and the marestail is growing well and can just about see my veg under it,
        ---) CARL (----
        ILFRACOMBE
        NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Originally posted by roadkill View Post
          did it make it easyer once you had gone over it with the rotorvator?
          It depends on the soil you have. What I did was to dig the first half by hand and I thought I would make use of a borrowed rotavator for the second half. The rotavated half had to be checked over for dislodged roots. The rotavated bit is still causung me some problems with bindweed regularly re appearing. The section I dug has been trouble free. I have thick clay soil. It is easier once you have gone over it with a rotavator but it doubles the bindweed problem for months to come.
          cheers
          Lance

Comment

Hi there Roadkill. When I took over my plot last October it was waist high in every type of weed you can imagine. I strimmed it down to about 2/3 inches then applied Weedall over the whole area and left it for nearly two weeks. I then used an agricultural rotivator over the whole plot. Result? great. I still battle with the weeds just like the next woman/man but at least I was able to get on with the serious matter of planting. Hope all goes well. Julia

Comment

If you had already dug it over and now the weeds are back your hard work will still help you out. The soil will have been loosened from before and you'll find it much easier to dig second time round. I'd certainly try and do it manually to begin with and pull out as many roots a s possible.

If you do rotovate beware that root based weeds - bindweed, horsetail, couch grass etc will flouish in the aftermath and wou could have a much bigger job on your hands. I've certainly found that to be the case with horsetail. With bindweed and grasses you may have a lot more success if you glyphosate it first then rotovate after 3 weeks.

I rotovated my plot in April and prior to that it had been untouched for over a decade. The ground was so tough I would have never dug it all manually. It really helped to get me started quickly but I am now feeling the consequences as my plot is infested with horsetail. It was worth it because I got a full plot planted this year but I won't be rotovating again and would seriously consider using one on a new plot again.
              http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Plotlady View Post
                Hi there Roadkill. When I took over my plot last October it was waist high in every type of weed you can imagine. I strimmed it down to about 2/3 inches then applied Weedall over the whole area and left it for nearly two weeks. I then used an agricultural rotivator over the whole plot. Result? great. I still battle with the weeds just like the next woman/man but at least I was able to get on with the serious matter of planting. Hope all goes well. Julia

yep sounds just like mine is , i have battled with it once but i let it get the better of me

when is the best time to rotorvate ? as im going to strim it at the weekend and give it a good dose of roundup so i will have to leave it for a couple of weeks

will it be ok to rotorvate then or will i have to wait a couple of months for the ground to soften up

rain rain go away (2009)

rain rain rain (2010)

Comment

Did you manage to get any crops in before the weeds took over? I've found it better (and more encouraging) to clear an area by digging and then plant or sow something straight away. Then you can actually feel you're getting somewhere. The rest can be strimmed and covered with old carpet until you have time to deal with it. A whole plot is a lot to do at one time, and if you have brambles docks etc rotovating will simply increase them. If you have soft annual weeds you can hand pull them and stick them in the compost bin, and at least if they are big you can see quick results. Good luck.

Comment

yep sounds just like mine is , i have battled with it once but i let it get the better of me

when is the best time to rotorvate ? as im going to strim it at the weekend and give it a good dose of roundup so i will have to leave it for a couple of weeks

will it be ok to rotorvate then or will i have to wait a couple of months for the ground to soften up
                    If you strim this weekend then wait for the patch to greenover then spray once it has died down that is time to rotavate jacob
                    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

would you like to demonstrate on my new plot Jacob
                      ntg
                      Never be afraid to try something new.
                      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                      ==================================================

Comment

Well- he's near enough just to pop over and sort you out Nick!!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

...And your plot!!!!!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

well i got some pics of it today

not looking good

rain rain go away (2009)

rain rain rain (2010)

Comment

well i got some pics of it today

not looking good
                              Just remember the old adage " One years seeding, seven years weeding"

At least strim off the seedheads before the seed becomes viable!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X