No announcement yet.

DWC Bubbler System

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

too deep for me even to contemplate. Only thing I would contemplate trying to grow with hydroponics would be a really humungously big onion but looking at the pic posted by BB my onion would outgrow the system before it even reached 4lbs in weight never heed 18lbs. Why are you trying to grow chili and basil hydroponically Craig?

Comment

From what I understand, and it is limited, you keep them in there...

However that said, what type of substrate are you using? if it's the blown clay or lighter, it should be light enough to carefully remove assuming the roots have not outgrown your basket. Also, what type of feed are you giving the plants?

Pic's of your homemade system might also help so please post pics

Are you planning to grow the chilli's in there overwinter too?

Sorry loads of questions....
      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Craigw02 View Post
        So far I have 6 replies and not 1 person has answered the question I posted. Firstly as I said I built it myself in relation to the dear versions out there so hence have no instructions for the care of plants and what to do with them when grown some what??

Please guys im looking for some sensible answers!!
        Well my "sensible" answer would be google,use different terms & you will get things like my first link or this,which is more informative ...... Hydroponics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or you could look/ask on any of the "herbal" forums,there are loads to choose from
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I've only ever known people use hydroponics to grow from start to finish not as a seedling medium.

Comment

I am trying lettuce in a bubble less dwc......a bucket! The roots need both nutrient filled water and air. The bubbler is not necessary if there is a sufficient air gap. The kratky method.......

You need not to float otherwise there is no air gap........

Turning to the question I would think that provided your net pot was large enough there would be no potting on required........difficult in clay balls! You would need supportvforvthe plant though.......they can get big!

Hows that for an attempt at a serious answer????

Good luck and please post some pics........

For the record I like soil too but I am fascinated as to how hydro works......no interest in weed! I think it could become quite mainstream.....particularly if like me your greenhouse soil was mainly underwater......choking my chilli roots to drowning!

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
              Without being pernickety - why did you build something if you didn't know how to use it?
              I built one as I live in Scotland and the weather is terrible so hence I wanted something indoors with low maintenance and without the hassle of repotting!

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the replies to the thread, sorry for the impatience, that's just me to a t lol. I have done chillies and basil etc in my greenhouse for a few years now and have had mixed results with them so thought I would try my hand at this and compare through the growing season to see which one gavel the best results hence me building a bubbler system! I'm going to try a few methods and hopefully show people my results, hence the questions about reporting etc which doesn't seem to be necessary depending on the bet pot size you use!! I will turn to anything the weather is that bad to keep me busy.

Craig

Comment

....without the hassle of repotting!
                  then why you wanting to repot?????
                  Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I built one as I live in Scotland and the weather is terrible so hence I wanted something indoors with low maintenance and without the hassle of repotting!
                    Would you mind sticking your (approx) location in your profile, Craig? It'll help when people are dishing out advice, and saves asking each time!

Comment

I have done chillies and basil etc in my greenhouse for a few years now and have had mixed results with them so thought I would try my hand at this and compare through the growing season to see which one gavel the best results hence me building a bubbler system!
                      How do you normally do basil, and do you do well with it? I love it, but tend to buy a pot which lasts for a few wks from the supermarket - I understand that they are tricksy from seed.

Comment

It seems a lot of effort to grow 4 pots of basil and chillies. I'd be interested to know what the running costs are of your Bubbles

Comment

That was my question, would I need to??? But after some research and feedback in the forum, I don't need to!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                            How do you normally do basil, and do you do well with it? I love it, but tend to buy a pot which lasts for a few wks from the supermarket - I understand that they are tricksy from seed.
                            I usually do not too bad from seed in my greenhouse although took some time to get going!! I have bought a supermarket one too and took a clipping and just waiting on it to root to go in the bubbler and see how I go from there!!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              It seems a lot of effort to grow 4 pots of basil and chillies. I'd be interested to know what the running costs are of your Bubbles
                              The running costs are for an air pump which would usually be used in a fish tank so very cheap!!

Comment

If you're growing indoors you will need lights too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X