No announcement yet.

Dog poo woes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And isn't the reason horse manure okay because if the well-rotted element? As well as the vegetarian element lol.

I know far far far too much about animal poo now!

Comment

I'm no expert but I would think it would be fine to grow food on. If everything you grow is cooked, then any bacteria that might be picked up by contact with the soil will be killed.

Raised beds do sound like a good idea because of drainage issues but I wouldn't worry about a membrane.

Is there any evidence that pathogens in the soil can be transferred to the plant through its roots and then to humans? If so, then ignore my reply!

Comment

We eat a lot of raw veg.

Also, 'apparently', eggs from various worms have been found inside the fruit/vegetables from dog poo. How true this is, I dunno, just one of the things I've picked up scrounging the net for info! Read too much to risk it. Maybe if it wasnt 4 children I was feeding with this, I wouldnt worry so much, but 3 of them are quite young, still with immature immunities. Probably a bit over protective lol.

Comment

^ Make sure you're reading scientific info, from published papers. Not people's (uninformed) opinions
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by rpt View Post
            Is there any evidence that pathogens in the soil can be transferred to the plant through its roots
            exactly. The roundworm gets into the human body through touch or ingestion. It doesn't migrate from the soil into the seedling and stay alive inside, say, a turnip. A turnip isn't a host: dogs & humans are the hosts.

Comment

I was reading everything lol - from forums to studies know to take it worth a grain, but was more interested in the overall consensus.

Most of what I read, despite the questionable claims on a few, were very much against planting direct in soil in conditions like mine. A few, on forums gave the notorious 'they do it in 'x' third world country, and theyre fine'. I cant begin to tell you how annoying those answers are to me! I also love it when the example they give is of a country where all sorts of hygiene based illnesses are rife.

Most people/sources also agreed that it really wasn't a huge deal if you were cooking your veg. A signifigant portion of my diet is raw lol.

Anyways, I was pretty sure how I was going to handle the situ, but wanted to check with those much wiser than me. thank you so much for the advice!!

Comment

Hi ashkat...and welcome to the forum. My advice is purely from one neurotic Mum to another Whatever seeds you may or may not plant in that area, the one seed that's likely to grow is the one in your head...the one that worries that maybe it's not safe.
                If you can afford it, this year grow in pots. You'll have peace of mind that the produce is safe and come the end of the season, the spent compost can be added to the area you're worried about.

Hand on heart, I don't know if you should grow on that area, I do know, as a worry mum, whatever advice I was given, the worst would stay in my head. xx
                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Thank you dj for the understanding and welcome could handle me or the husband getting ill but don't think I'd forgive myself if the kids did!

Have plenty of square feet, so will do the raised beds and purchased soil.

Now.....anyone have any really good sites for soil in western Scotland/Glasgow that delivers please

Comment

Originally posted by ashkat View Post
                    will do the raised beds and purchased soil.

Now.....anyone have any really good sites for soil in western Scotland/Glasgow that delivers please
                    So would I. You don't need to spend a fortune on topsoil though (look up Rolawn ~ yikes!). Don't be tempted by "free" topsoil either, it's likely to be just rubble and rubbish.

Have you heard of lasagne beds/gardening?

It's what I did at school, where the existing soil was only a few inches deep and just dust, yarrow & couch, rubbish, rubble & cat poo.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X