Newbies - post your one-offs here

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by di View Post
    I spent an age wondering what on earth FYM (farm yard manure) was...felt far too dumb to ask.
    Yes, me too. Round here we call it cow muck!
    edit: good thread Zaz - I suspect I shall visit it a lot.
    Last edited by mothhawk; 12-03-2012, 07:11 PM.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

A back to front one, a couple of years ago I got myself in a pickle when asking some of the old boys tips on hardening off...don't assume that just because someone's a fellow gardener, they'll take everything you say in gardening terms.
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Hardening off acclimatising plants to lower temperatures. This time last year I had no idea what that meant.

Powdery mildew white powdery residue that covers large leaf foliage when there is moisture in the air and can be nasty to courgettes and things.

Blight occurs on tomatoes, is windborn and makes them look a bit manky. Rife in Birmingham. Can also affect spuds, but not sure if it is the same.
        Last edited by horticultural_hobbit; 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM.
        Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

Bummocks - the favourite technical term of G4
          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

DEBRIS NETTING = green netting either used from a scaffolding company,or new of ebay,
            often used to give plants especially brassica's,protection from pests,also good to put around carrots to help with root fly,also a screen around peas to deter birds from nibbling and pea bugs
            Last edited by veggiechicken; 07-07-2014, 08:46 PM.
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
              DEBRIE NETTING = green netting either used from a scaffolding company,or new of ebay,
              often used to give plants especially brassica's,protection from pests,also good to put around carrots to help with root fly,also a screen around peas to deter birds from nibbling and pea bugs
              OOh, I've still got loads left, didn't think to put it around carrots. Thanks. x
              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Morrison's buckets - the black buckets that contain cut flowers and are sold off by Morrisons in packs of 8 for about £1 - or given away free by most other supermarkets and florists. GYOers usually mutilate them by drilling drainage holes in them, or cutting the bottoms off. They are used for planting or a myriad other things. No self respecting gardener can live without at least 20 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  No self respecting gardener can live without at least 20 of them.
                  I have no self-respect...and a paltry 16 Morrisons buckets *hangs head in shame*
                  Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

Chris has 100 - that's just boasting!!

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      So I thought - if you want to post 'what is this/does that mean' on here, it can become a bit of a reference for other newbies who come along.

So ask away - and the oldies [like G4] will come along and answer them for you.
                      Sorry Zaz, was only replying to your OP.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        Chris has 100 - that's just boasting!!
                        He's obviosuly compensating for something!

Comment

I have a tendency to refer to some veg as legs and bras, so to save you confusion, I actually mean legumes (peas & beans etc) and brassicas (sprouts and cabbages etc). Humour me, I sometimes feel I am in my dotage

Oh and I've got well over a hundred flower buckets, not counted recently
                          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Having a Furtle means using your hands to dig around under your potatoes checking if any are ready to eat.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Mulch - to cover the ground with something either non-alive (cardboard, manure, leaves, leafmould, weed suppressing membrane, gravel, grass clippings, newspaper etc.) or alive (other plants, usually ground covering like squash) to suppress weeds, assist in water retention, and in the case of biodegradable substances add humus to the soil.

Humus - the organic component of soil. i.e. that which is not mineral or animal - decomposted leaves etc. (I had to look this one up!)

Green manure - to plant something (specific 'somethings', best to google/search the forum) with the intention of cutting it down and digging it in a few months later. When alive it mulches the soil (see above), when dug it in adds humus (...see above).
                              Proud member of the Nutters Club.
                              Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

CACA Just typed that on another thread so nipped in here to say Cut And Come Again (Salad leaves)
                                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X