No announcement yet.

keyhole garden compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I have even less of an idea where I'd find bait shops, googled and got this list -London fishing tackle and bait

The only one I recognise is Farlow's, a shop I've never been in cuz it looks mighty posh. Should be interesting.

Comment

eBay was created for people like you 500 Dendra/Red Tiger worms in tub with bedding | eBay
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ta

But I'm squirming madly looking at that. One thing gardening has done, got me slowly used to creepy crawleys, because they're good, they're great for the garden, so I can live with that.

Still, can't stop the odd shiver.

Comment

I bought a wormery a few years ago and sent away a postcard for the worms to be delivered. They arrived in a very ordinary looking brown envelope. Took ages to pluck up the courage to open it as I imagined hundreds of worms would come tumbling out, looking slightly squashed and angry where they'd come through the letterbox. Inside there were not that many recognisable worms, it was mostly small bits and pieces (I'm sure there's a technical name and someone will be along soon to tell me).
          I still have a shiver when I open the wormery lid - I expect a horror movie size worm to shoot out and grab me by the throat! It hasn't happened yet.....

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            It hasn't happened yet.....
            Yet....

Y'all are so relaxed about bugs, like washing off whitefly off leaves before eating previously infested leaves... and I just shuddered when I read that.

I think reaching that stage will be one of my signs that I'm getting to be a real gardener too

Comment

Originally posted by jdlondon View Post
              Yet....

Y'all are so relaxed about bugs, like washing off whitefly off leaves before eating previously infested leaves... and I just shuddered when I read that.

I think reaching that stage will be one of my signs that I'm getting to be a real gardener too
              I think when you've gone to the effort of growing it you'll do almost anything to be able to eat it. My kids have always calmly pushed earwigs off their (cooked) spinach and carried on eating! I do try and avoid this happening by washing first but sometimes the beggers hang on!
              "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                My kids have always calmly pushed earwigs off their (cooked) spinach and carried on eating!
                You have just managed to terrify me quite thoroughly. Puke alert!

Comment

reaching that stage will be one of my signs that I'm getting to be a real gardener too
                  Yep!

When you've spent 9 months raising your food, you're going to darn well eat it yourself

Comment

If I may....

I'd just hang on a few weeks before starting any new wormeries; I've started 4 in the last month and each one has ended in disaster due to the cold weather. Even with worms from my own wormery only a few feet away with the new ones being in the greenhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      If I may....

I'd just hang on a few weeks before starting any new wormeries; I've started 4 in the last month and each one has ended in disaster due to the cold weather. .
                      Will do. Garden is slowly and surely being built, so it will be a few weeks before it's ready for a wormery.

Comment

You have just managed to terrify me quite thoroughly. Puke alert!
                        Honestly, once you know how many bugs, as in insects and things are allowed in things like flour, how your milk is hundreds of times dirtier after its been pasturised than it was when it left the farm, how oil is pressed, exactly what hygeine tests involve in some processes etc you will just be glad for the ones you can see! I used to work for MAFF (DEFRA now).
                        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Honestly, once you know how many bugs, as in insects and things are allowed in things like flour, how your milk is hundreds of times dirtier after its been pasturised than it was when it left the farm, how oil is pressed, exactly what hygeine tests involve in some processes etc you will just be glad for the ones you can see! I used to work for MAFF (DEFRA now).
                          The human race would not have evolved if it couldn't cope with a few bugs and dirt. I am of the 'move the earwig off the cabbage' persuasion.
                          Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
                          Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

... and the Operation Terrify JD goes on...

I'll toughen up, I'm sure. Slowly but surely.

Comment

Me, I'm terrified and revolted by maggots

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                                Me, I'm terrified and revolted by maggots
                                You had to go there! - why isn't there an emoticon with hands covering ears? Emoticon mouth wide open in a scream too!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X