Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nigelsmith View Post
    we are still left with a huge plot with lots of bramble roots
    Brambles don't grow from root cuttings, so using a rotavator wouldn't increase your problem, but it will if you have couch or bindweed

Brambles are tip-rooting and they produce suckers. You'll have big knuckles of bramble root in your soil which are very very difficult to dig out. I had them too, and I'm a 5 foot weakling ~ I got them out systematically, one at a time by levering (fork or crowbar thingy) and sawing the root off with a small pruning saw.
    I didn't worry about getting each last tiny scrap of root out, I just concentrated on getting that big old knuckle out. This is my plot Feb '08

After that, I did get a few new brambles coming up every year, mostly in my bean patch which was annoying. I just cut them off as they appeared, and dug out the knuckle in the winter. After a year the plot was hugely improved, and after 3 years (seasons) the brambles were all gone, every last bit.

If you were nearer I'd come over and help you, you seem quite down & despondent about your plot Nigel, which is a shame as you've only just got started.
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 03-10-2011, 07:26 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi Two Sheds,

Thank you for your kind offer lol and if you lived near me I would gladly take you up on your offer of help however I'm honestly not despondent I think at first I was a little omg what have I done but I've since erected a greenhouse a shed and even laid a lawn and managed 5 raised beds I have also been reading a great book called the half hour allotment and what a great book it help you to relax and chill out a little cheers Nigel

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      Brambles don't grow from root cuttings, so using a rotavator wouldn't increase your problem, but it will if you have couch or bindweed

Brambles are tip-rooting and they produce suckers. You'll have big knuckles of bramble root in your soil which are very very difficult to dig out. I had them too, and I'm a 5 foot weakling ~ I got them out systematically, one at a time by levering (fork or crowbar thingy) and sawing the root off with a small pruning saw.
      I didn't worry about getting each last tiny scrap of root out, I just concentrated on getting that big old knuckle out. This is my plot Feb '08

After that, I did get a few new brambles coming up every year, mostly in my bean patch which was annoying. I just cut them off as they appeared, and dug out the knuckle in the winter. After a year the plot was hugely improved, and after 3 years (seasons) the brambles were all gone, every last bit.

If you were nearer I'd come over and help you, you seem quite down & despondent about your plot Nigel, which is a shame as you've only just got started.

Comment

Hi Two Sheds,

Thank you for your kind offer lol and if you lived near me I would gladly take you up on your offer of help however I'm honestly not despondent I think at first I was a little omg what have I done but I've since erected a greenhouse a shed and even laid a lawn and managed 5 raised beds I have also been reading a great book called the half hour allotment and what a great book it help you to relax and chill out a little cheers Nigel
        Sounds great Nigel...have you taken any pics? Would be great to see your progress. Sounds like you have done loads, well done.

Comment

Not sure how to upload pics on here ?? Even got a picture of my allotment in the AG Mag how cool is that

Originally posted by Helgalush View Post
          Sounds great Nigel...have you taken any pics? Would be great to see your progress. Sounds like you have done loads, well done.
          Last edited by Nigelsmith; 12-10-2011, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Not sure how to upload pics on here ?? Even got a picture of my allotment in the AG Mag how cool is that
            That sounds great Not sure I can explain how to upload pics on here as I always get myself in a muddle doing it too. I think you click on that little paper clip sign at the top of the typing box. Then you click "add file" in the top right hand corner, and then, erm, I'm not sure what you do after that. Think you have to select the file you want to upload and then, well I can't remember what comes after that.

Hopefully someone else will come along and explain it properly for you, sorry!
            Last edited by Helgalush; 12-10-2011, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Not sure how to upload pics on here
              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ing_29565.html

I like to keep my gardening photos on Flickr (it's free, but you're limited to 200 pictures so you might want to open more than one account)

Resizr.com is also free, and great for reducing & cropping your photos
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 12-10-2011, 03:53 PM.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X