To use a rotervater or not *Please advise*

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ixithepatriot View Post
    Should have worked no problem with the couch grass, Marestail (horsetail) is a different matter
    It's definitely horsetail, not marestail, and the couch is as strong as ever, I rip out 18" lengths of root of the darn stuff, it's growing in and through the wooden bed edges too.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by ixithepatriot View Post
      The advice was given as to help clear overgrown piece of land nothing was mentioned about spraying when fruit or veg was present and if your talking about the lasting effects of using it on soil which is going to be used for edible crops then maybe you should look into it.

no need for the scaremongering post
      Until anyone can prove there are no long lasting effects; there's every need.

Comment

just remember aminopyralid.....although that did have more obvious immediate effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          It's definitely horsetail, not marestail, and the couch is as strong as ever, I rip out 18" lengths of root of the darn stuff, it's growing in and through the wooden bed edges too.
          yes its horsetail im talking about but marestail is the common name that has stuck with it in my parts and i doubt its the only place who uses that common name i know the 2 are different plants but when im asked about spraying marestail here it is horsetail majority of the time. i would treat the couch grass with glyphosate but thats my opinion

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          Until anyone can prove there are no long lasting effects; there's every need.
          some people use weedkiller some don't its there choice you read that it has lasting effects i read it doesn't and has a positive effect on microorganisms in the soil. its the same as mobile phones you can read that they can be a cause for brain tumors and also that there is no cause for concern

Good and bad can be found in anything you choose not to use it i choose to use it there is no right or wrong method just no need for the scaremongering image you posted

Comment

It has been reported in the American and Canadian press that the FDA have warned that they are giving serious consideration to banning glyphosate because of the long lasting effects and the new breed of super-weeds that are now appearing that are resistant. However I would doubt that politicians would stand up to the agrochemical lobby.
            History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

cigarette companies used to advertise that smoking was healthy for you, and look how that turned out.
              You're right, it is anyones choice whether they use it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                If you read Helga's post - it doesn't say cover and leave until spring - it says 'Then you can gradually start work on the next bit and the next bit and then the next bit. Before long you will have several beds in action and more to work with.' The covering is to stop anything from growing and smothering anything that is growing in the meantime.

HTH
                Thank you Zazen That was the gist of what I meant originally - however I did go back and amend my original post because I did say early spring - but it wasnt quite what I meant. How you have quoted me is what I meant...hope its cleared up now, just a little misunderstanding due to me not thinking clearly

Thank you

Comment

I knew what you meant...

Comment

Originally posted by Helgalush View Post
                    Thank you Zazen That was the gist of what I meant originally - however I did go back and amend my original post because I did say early spring - but it wasnt quite what I meant. How you have quoted me is what I meant...hope its cleared up now, just a little misunderstanding due to me not thinking clearly

Thank you
                    I knew what you meant and will be following this advise thank you

Comment

to use a rotorvater or not *Please advise"

I am getting a pro. gardener in to do what I physically can't do the first year after Peter died. He said that on my paths and drive he would put "industrial strength" round-up. Would this be any use on my little veggie patch? If so, how long before I could start planting/sowing my new stuff?
                      There's pleasure sure in being mad that only madmen know - Anon

Comment

I covered ours up this time last year and then uncovered only half of the site to grow this year primarily to see if i could manage the workload with my time available. 12 months on and i now know i made the right decision as next year i won't be opening up the other half and will continue to work on just a small patch of 50sqm but honing my skills and maximising my yields with the 5 most consumed veggies in our household (Onions, Carrots, Potatoes, Cabbage, and Lettuce) with the odd Legume thrown in to the mix.

Then once i'm confident enough that i have a perfect annual system for that half, i will start to open up the other half and add more exotic vegetables.

Your decision needs to be on what works best for you, your needs, and your time commitment. Both a Rotavator and covering up have their plus points and minus points.
                        www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

In your opion whats the pros & cons of both ?

Originally posted by Chef_uk View Post
                          I covered ours up this time last year and then uncovered only half of the site to grow this year primarily to see if i could manage the workload with my time available. 12 months on and i now know i made the right decision as next year i won't be opening up the other half and will continue to work on just a small patch of 50sqm but honing my skills and maximising my yields with the 5 most consumed veggies in our household (Onions, Carrots, Potatoes, Cabbage, and Lettuce) with the odd Legume thrown in to the mix.

Then once i'm confident enough that i have a perfect annual system for that half, i will start to open up the other half and add more exotic vegetables.

Your decision needs to be on what works best for you, your needs, and your time commitment. Both a Rotavator and covering up have their plus points and minus points.

Comment

Pro's for covering up is you can uncover what you want to use, manage smaller area's of space to see how you get on especially when you come across something you didn't hear, read or were told about.

Cons are it can be unsightly and soil that hasn't got anything growing in it can be seen as a waste of space.

Using the Rotavator has the benefit of turning the soil over to an arable state ready to work on immediately. Cons are you will be churning up the weeds and effectively spreading their seed for them at a super rate of knots BUT don't get too worked up about weeds. I've learnt pretty early on ie; this year being my first at growing your own that you will never be completely weed free and actually some are beneficial to you as i had found out but only as long as you kill them off before they set seed (annuals). The tool for this isn't weed killer or suppressant fabric IMHO but discipline and a good hoe with the technique to use it properly.
                            www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Chef_uk View Post
                              Cons are you will be churning up the weeds and effectively spreading their seed for them
                              I just wanted to clarify for Nigel ~ with a rotavator, it's the chopping up of perennial weed roots that's the problem. Bindweed & couch grass spread via root cuttings, in essence. If you chop a root into 100 pieces, you will get 100 new weed plants.

Those of us who say "don't rotavate" aren't Luddites, we just know what can happen if you do
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 20-11-2011, 07:40 PM.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Couldn't have said that better myself

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X