No announcement yet.

Is this comfrey?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because I have a v small garden I have, er, ONE Bocking 14 (resisted the urge to plant my free non-Bocking seeds - any ideas what to do with them?) - was it a big mistake to plant it in the soil? I do want it to go forth and multiply b/c am hoping for liquid feed, but is this unrealistic without a huge patch of it? And, er, is that what I'm about to get...out there growing now...in the dark...eek...

Comment

Well firstly it needs to be in the soil so no, not a mistake. Secondly, you don't need a huge patch but one plant might not provide you with that much feed, but it depends on how much you want. You could sow the seeds but prepared to cut off flowers or it'll take over. Of course if you move house you'll be leaving a legacy - up to you though.

Comment

Great thread! I like the sound of growing my own fertilizer.
        Is this the right stuff i need to get? I dont want it taking over the garden!
        Comfrey root sections (Bocking 14) | eBay UK
        To really be free, You need to be free in the mind.

Comment

Yes, that's the stuff.
          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

THanks for this Shadylane - another question. If I plant a few seeds and diligently remove seedheads, is that realistic? or will I still be awash with the stuff? My borage is going mad in there so am wary...(btw have you ever heard of using borage/strawberry leaves as well as comfrey?)

Comment

not really, it'll flower more than you can realistically keep an eye on. Your bocking will spread itself a bit anyway, from the roots, but you won't have odd bits popping up everywhere and be unable to eradicate them. take root cuttings from the bocking if you want extra extra plants, even a little bit will do it.

Comment

that's a very good idea, will take root cuttings if I can work out how. Thank you. I'll...um...regift the seeds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X