No announcement yet.

home grown compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to do that Jono until I bought a second bin.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
      ... until I bought a second bin.
      Second? I have six ! And they're all full already !
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Going on the number of bins, do you recommend that they are used on a yearly basis i.e. after year one, transfer what was in number 1 to number 2 and start filling number 1 again while you use the contents of 2 in year 2?

Hope that makes sense!!!
        Follow my adventures on Twitter: @backyardveggie

My children will grow up knowing the Good Life... one day Tom and Barbara, one day!

Comment

I have a couple of other questions:

1. I emptied my compost that housed my potatoes in last year - will the compost be ok to use (bearing in mind crop rotation, or doesn't it matter when returning to compost)

2. My local council have provided us with bio degradable bags to put our kitchen scraps in and then give to them to compost, however I make my own! Is it ok to put the bags in the compost bin?

My children will grow up knowing the Good Life... one day Tom and Barbara, one day!

Comment

Originally posted by Mantha81 View Post
            do you recommend that they are used on a yearly basis
            If you like, but I want my compost "ready" in less time than a year The more often you turn it, the quicker it works

Originally posted by Mantha81 View Post
            bio degradable bags...ok to put the bags in the compost bin?
            OK, don't shout

I hate those things, the school daleks were absolutely full of them. Having said that, they were supermarket 'biodegradable' carrier bags which on closer inspection are photo (light) degradable, so shouldn't have been put in the composters at all

Comment

I'll take them out!

Comment

I get my guy to pee direct - good job our garden backs onto woodland and fields!!!
                The hens contribute and then I feed them Bokashi Bran as well as using that in their bedding. I would say within 2-3 months we have very usable compost at the bottom
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Do Compost bins smell? I have a relatively small garden as I'm in a terrace so was considering getting a dalek but I'm worried it might be a bit wiffy!
                  Thoughts?

Comment

They only smell if you do them wrong (usually by adding too much green, not enough brown). Even if you put wee on them, they don't smell
                    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 10-04-2011, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I had a small, open heap going last year (almost entirely "greens" with nothing twiggy in there), peed on it a couple of times a week and never turned it once. It didn't stink and looks in great shape now. I dunno how hot it got though so it'll be going in the new wooden bins with this year's compost to kill seeds and the like.

I'm a big fan of peeing on the heap tho. Very little seemed to be happening until I started... then it all moved very quickly.

Comment

An inch or two's layer of damp grass clippings really hots things up too

Comment

I'll be using those too this year if I have the browns to balance them out.

I should probably add to my previous post that I'm not gong to be going brown-less this year. I'll be doing it all properly.

Comment

my compost doesnt look much more rotted than your examples, and I was planning on sticking some in the base of my large tub destined for the dwarf runner beans.
                            Mines been rotting for 3 and half years, it hasnt been turned though, its in a tricky corner of the garden to get to and do any work, I may need a second dalek, our council work with a company and you can get a 200ltr dalek delivered for £15.

You can also buy JAB garotta, compost maker, sprinkle some on and water every time you put a layer of waste in, I looked at it at work but decided I'm too tight to spend £4 on something that nature will take care of if I wait a bit!
                            Not sure if anyone has used it before!!!?
                            <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Originally posted by BigShot View Post
                              if I have the browns to balance them out.
                              You do have the browns already: the easiest way is to wrap all your kitchen peelings in a sheet of newspaper, like a chip parcel.

also chuck in loo rolls, egg boxes etc. Scrunched up newspaper creates nice air pockets

Originally posted by cptncrackoff View Post
                              I'm too tight to spend £4 on something that nature will take care of
                              Me too. That's why I use comfrey and grass clippings

Comment

I don't have the space to actually turn my dalek's so I purchased a tool for the job. A steel pole with two moving tines you just push it to the bottom of the bin and as you pull it back out the tines extend allowing you to mix up the compost.

It may not be as good as actually turning the compost properly but it does get some air in there and it as certainly speeded up the process since I started to use it.

Colin
                                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X