Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No drainpipe for waterbutt, what's the alternatives?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/2 round i think, if you mean sticks out at the bottom like an L shape.
    www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

you can always order one online

Comment

ok thanks
        www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

I collect rainwater in an old black dustbin - no drainage pipes anywhere - I have a roof top garden - does anyone know if there is anything I can put in the water to stop it smelling (standing water) and to keep the water clean?

Comment

Sorry Chef my question was to the original poster should have made that clear, only if he as guttering with a flat bottom there may well be a reasonable solution.

Lizzie, Harrods gardening advertise a bag of small clay pipes to put in water butts for that purpose. I don't know if they work but it might be worth having a google.

Colin
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I collect rainwater from my roof via an extra down pipe which is mounted immediately below a 1" hole I have drilled in the existing guttering therefore negating the difficulty and expense of putting in a proper down pipe fitting in the gutter. The water is delivered where I want it (not by the front door) and the work is relatively simple to reverse.

Comment

ah I see, I didn't think anyone would reply to the old thread, just my update question, my bad
                www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by madhatterlizzy View Post
                  I collect rainwater in an old black dustbin - no drainage pipes anywhere - I have a roof top garden - does anyone know if there is anything I can put in the water to stop it smelling (standing water) and to keep the water clean?
                  Lizzy, please google this to check but I think potassium permanganate will do what you want. There are also various preparations sold in garden centres.

Comment

My waterbutt was at home in the garden and we didnt get around to fitting it to the guttering but it filled up on its own even with a lid, didnt take long, I had too empty it to take it to the lottie where its still not connected to the shed but it fills up anyway.
                    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                    and ends with backache

Comment

Thanks guys I will try all the tips etc and let you know how I get on. Today its pouring and the bin is nearly full !!!

Comment

Hi Colin -

got in touch with Harrods gardening - they were really helpful - and as I type this the clay pipes are on their way to me - 48 hour delivery apparantly and a money back guarantee - so now crossing fingers - many thanks for the info

happy gardening
                        Lizzy

Comment

Can I fit a normal waterbutt tap to the blue food container waterbutt?

Water Butt Tap from Homebase.co.uk

What would be best to seal it with?
                          www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Does you container have a flat surface at the level you want to fit the tap?

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

No, its curved all the way round
                              www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Dodgy to do correctly but you might be able to bodge it. The problem as I see it is that the container will be made out of strong plastic. The tap is also plastic but if its the same as the one fitted to my butt its not that strong this rules out using a back nut as the threaded portion of the tap would/could break.

Maybe another grape knows of a purpose made tap for this job but if not there are some alternatives.

(a) Warm the blue plastic to soften it and form a flat surface, drill a tight hole and fit with poly washers and a back nut.

(b) Buy a brass hose union bib cock with brass back nut again drill a tight hole and fit with poly washers. This would allow you to tighten the back nut without breaking the tap. Though it will distort the barrel.

(c) Again drill a tight hole and seal with a 2 pack adhesive such as Stablit Express.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X