No announcement yet.

Rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jojo I think I got mine from Wilkinsons - either that or the garden centre. When to plant? When you've bought it! In other words - if it in the shops then it's planting season (this is not a universal rule though as sometimes things are sold wildly out of season!). Chuck it in with some bonemeal and tuck it in nicely for the winter - then it's a wait till 2011!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hi jojo I got mine from ebay. I get a lot of my plants from there lol
      Susiewoosie

A novice but keen to learn

My Blog - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...s/susiewoosie/

My photo Albums - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ie-albums.html

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
        As has been said above, let them die down, and dont worry if it isnt just yet, it will.
        Once its all died back, chuck manure over it, then leave it till spring, when you'll start to see the leaves coming back again.
        'Tis very hardy stuff, so I shouldnt worry too much, you will hear many stories of people doing sweet nothing at all with/to their rhubarb and it grows year after year.
        Very easy to grow eh? I've tried two years running now and each time the shoots start to grow then disappear. Planted the second crown at the other end of the lottie to where I'd put the first one although the soil isn't wet anywhere. Then thought it might be slugs so put a big empty water bottle over it as a mini cloche. That nearly worked, then one day the shoots had gone again. BUT - I'm going to give it another go this year. Can anybody see what I'm doing wrong?
        Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

Hi Sarraceniac, what do you mean by 'forcing' the rhubarb? I've just planted my first one so it'll be a while till crumble!

Comment

Hi Dashy. Forcing rhubarb is a way of getting very tender and sweet shoots but it can be exhausting for the plant. Do not try forcing for the first 3 years then towards the end of winter (late December, and into January or February here depending on what part of the UK) give the crown a good feeding with liquid fertiliser, if you prefer the good old fashioned manure then feed it even earler, then pile straw or some other insulator very deeply over it and then exclude all light (I use a large oil-drum style bucket) and leave it for a few weeks until it grows very tall, thin and pale, and that is forced rhubarb. I assume you are warmer than I am where you are but I would still use the straw, it can't hurt and don't forget to give it a good feeding when you let it resume natural growth, after harvesting the forced stems. Do not force again for 3 growing seasons or you will kill the crown.
            Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
            >
            >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Thanks very much. I'd never heard of it. I'll have to write it down as 3 years is a very long time. How many plants of rhurbarb do you have? I've planted one but thought another couple could be good, very easy to freeze.

Comment

We have 3 crowns on the go. That allows us to force one each year with 2 resting. We still get 'ordinary' rhubarb off the resting ones of course. They still produce rhubarb. You are right about freezing. For pies and crumbles I think that from the freezer is better, it seems to break down the fibres. But with forced rhubarb of course that is not necessary.

>

Comment

Rhubarb

I've followed all the rules to the letter but still manage to end up with pencil thin sticks and veryweak looking plants. perhaps I should try getting more going inb a pot first and then transplanting.Any words of advice would be really appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by wollyanna View Post
                    I've followed all the rules to the letter but still manage to end up with pencil thin sticks and veryweak looking plants. perhaps I should try getting more going inb a pot first and then transplanting.Any words of advice would be really appreciated
                    Actually they are usually far happier in a nice rich loam in the ground. How long has it been growing? At what point (year) did you start picking? One should pick very sparingly for two or three years when rhubarb first goes in, especially if grown from seed.

Are you feeding plenty of organic material? If all else fails then don't pick any at all for a year and drown the crown in any from - seaweed based fertiliser, horse (or cow or sheep or chicken) muck (I use chicken 'cos it is easy to get and transport), home made compost, tomato food or just boring old Growmore. Rhubarb loves feeding often until established then you can just feed once a year.

>

Comment

I didn't try and pick any and gave the crowns about 3 of them what I thought was a good dressing of farmyard manure(commmercial kind) . Do they like a sunny spot because I made a sort of raised bed to contain them but it was rather shaded by some trees.

Comment

If they are in a raised bed then see BobLP's comment above. They like plenty of water and it is possible that yours are not getting enough to drink. Mine are in a north facing wet garden that gets most sunshine only late evening in summer and little in the winter so that should be no problem. Try more watering in spring, and if the stalks are weedy next year then don't pick any then either.

>

Comment

I have just bought a variety called Strawberry Rhubarb from the garden centre. Has anyone had any success with this and is it tasty. I only bought one but after reading all your answers perhaps I should have bought 3.

Broadhaven

Comment

Can't really tell if it is right for you Broadhaven. Can you possibly ammend your personal profile to show where you are from, it actually does matter.

Actually, I don't know a variety called 'Strawberry' and can't find it anywhere. Maybe someone else will know it or maybe it is just a marketing thing not really geared at real gardeners. Garden centers do that sort of thing you know which is why sites like this exist.

Just editing to say sorry if you are from Broadhaven. But still show it please.
                            Last edited by sarraceniac; 08-11-2009, 05:30 PM.

>

Comment

Hi Sarraceniac, Just found it on Dobbies web site under Taylors Rhubarb (Strawberry) Bulbs Code: AVEG5.

Sorry for not putting area, ( I am new to this site) I have now amended it, (not putting my age though !!! )

This has been my first year of growing, I am a garden grower and not an allotment holder. Didn't realise I would have to wait a year for my Rhubarb, oh well will have to buy from supermarket next year..

Comment

OK Broadhaven. Thanks. Your age is not important (don't know why they ask except for targetting spam - I'm ancient so never get any) but your locality is.

I think this strawberry stuff is, again, just marketing. It doesn't seem to be a real variety. But never mind.

If you bought it as a crown and you have it planted now with loads of manure in the planting hole (technical term) you may actually get a pie or a crumble or two out of it next year so don't cry. If you forgot to put the manure in the hole then just pile loads of it on top now and you should be OK. I think what you have got is Timperley. It is a very early variety and is very tasty. It is good for forcing in about 3 years time but will still produce tasty stems till then. Not a profuse cropper but delicious. Good choice.

>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X