No announcement yet.

hardening plants off and the weather!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reks - that sounds ideal for hardening off; just leave the flaps open for a few days 24/7 - to get them more used to the wind movement. Then they can go in the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      Reks - that sounds ideal for hardening off; just leave the flaps open for a few days 24/7 - to get them more used to the wind movement. Then they can go in the ground.
      okie! shall get on with it.
      cheers Reks

Comment

I planted out my climbing beans about 10 days ago. They just sulk and look at me.. Cold wet and windy.. It's global warming!

Comment

I can't decided what to do with my courgettes- it's still pretty soggy at the moment but was hoping to get them hardened off in the next 2 weeks in the hope that they will be ok to put outside the following week while i am away on holiday.

What do you all think i should do- start hardening them off then put them out on the thrid week while i'm away or keep them in the house for that week?

Or should i just leave hardening them off until i come back off holiday?
          My Album, Progress so Far: -
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ss-so-far.html

Comment

maybe the way it is looking you should wait Mchanen
            Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
            Independent Minds

Comment

It's tricky isn't it? My babies have been going out for a couple of weeks now (in fact I came on here just now to find out how long I need to keep doing this, as I'm getting a bit bored of trekking backwards and forwards with trays of stuff!), but I think I've killed off my toms, as one day last week I put them out, and whilst I was out a bitterly cold gale whipped up, and most of the toms were mushed to a pulp, and what wasn't look far from well . Due to grotty nature of the weather at the mo, I'd be tempted to play safe, and leaving the greenhouse door open sounds a good ploy to me too. Sadly I don't have a greenhouse, sob.

Good luck!
              Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

Well in that case i shall play safe and keep my courgettes in the house while i am away- better to do that i suppose then to come home and find them dead
                My Album, Progress so Far: -
                http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ss-so-far.html

Comment

I've decided to follow advice and just leave the flaps of my plastic greenhouses open. I have weighted them down more tho because leaving them open does mean the wind catches in them and I don't want them taking off, plants and all!
                  AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by Mchanen View Post
                    I can't decided what to do with my courgettes- it's still pretty soggy at the moment but was hoping to get them hardened off in the next 2 weeks in the hope that they will be ok to put outside the following week while i am away on holiday.

What do you all think i should do- start hardening them off then put them out on the thrid week while i'm away or keep them in the house for that week?

Or should i just leave hardening them off until i come back off holiday?
                    Half in and half out....they might well dry out inside in a week...

Comment

I've got runner/french beans standing in plastic box under dead tree at allotment. Been there a week and being nibbled - but haven't got ground prepared properly yet. Got cuces, squash and courgettes in plastic mini greenhouse, also being nibbled! Can't wait to get them out and acclimatised but wind here (London)too damn strong. Am doing the zipping and unzipping GH thing, but plants pretty big and toms now taking over. Forecast now not so confident on the approaching high coming up from the south. It might take 2 weeks, if at all!

Yikes! Fran

Comment

I started hardening off my toms and courgettes by leaving them in the plastic greenhouse with door rolled up during the day and bringing them in at night.

For the last week I've been putting them out in the open during the day and bringing them in at night and they've survived so far!

I even dared to leave them out on Saturday and Sunday when it was very windy but I do have to confess to popping out and checking on them a few times each day!

I've lost a couple of the lower courgette side branches where they've been bent against the edge of the tub and I've just taken them off but no other serious damage. I really need to get my peas out so they have been left out over night the last couple of nights and they're doing fine too.

Most of this tough love approach is being motivated by the other half patiently (for now!) asking how long our small kitchen is going to look like a greenhouse between the hours of 11pm and 6am!

The 'Is this what everyone's house is like'? question this morning made me think of everyone on here though!

I've re-assured him this lot will be out in a couple of weeks... just haven't mentioned the rest that are waiting upstairs, ready to be hardened off too!
                        http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

i really feel for the poor sweetcorn and dwarf french beans i've put out
                          they had it coming and it is warmer here than in a lot of the country so i should be thankful.
                          once the courgettes have got two true leaves they are going to start being hardened off too and join their friends.
                          the toms that went out during the warm spell a while back are finally starting to get themselves sorted
                          i know they hated me for doing it once the warmth stopped
                          i could tell it by their leaves
                          Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

I was wondering about useing my garage and summerhouse as a midway place while I am on holiday at the end of the month. They both have a sunny window that I could put plants close to but are unheated. I am worried about things being overhot in the GH while I am away.
                            BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
                            Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

oh that i had that choice.....
                              Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
                                I've decided to follow advice and just leave the flaps of my plastic greenhouses open. I have weighted them down more tho because leaving them open does mean the wind catches in them and I don't want them taking off, plants and all!
                                Just looked at the forecast and its meant to be wet and yukky all week, so best leave em where they are for a bit. You didnt listen to me when I said stick em out in the rain did you?
                                WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X