Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really don't know how I managed to kill them all this time...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really don't know how I managed to kill them all this time...

I repotted my dwarf beans at the weekend - simply (and gently) took the out of their old pots and put them into new, bigger pots with the same soil, then put them back where they were before.

But when I checked on them this morning, two of the five had turned into shrivelled, prune-like wisps.

What did I do wrong? And how can I revive them? I was so sad to see them dying

Where are you keeping them, it sounds a bit like they were too cold and just gave up on you but difficult to say without either seeing them or at least having a bit more detail - I do like a bit of detail!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Alison

A sunny window sill which is above a radiator and behind the computer (so really warm) !

Am in North London if that helps give an idea of how sunny/warm it could be.

I am going to give up - some people have green fingers whereas I have the black thumb of death.

Comment

Don't give up Nickerly, we all learn by our mistakes and I've made plenty. Perhaps it was a little too warm for them. Do you have a greenhouse or somewhere sheltered or even perhaps a cooler place indoors but with good light?
        AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by Nickerly View Post
          A sunny window sill which is above a radiator and behind the computer
          It sounds very warm in daytime, but window sills get very cold at night (try touching the glass)

French beans like a constant warm temp.
          I won't be sowing mine for another couple of weeks.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Try them again indoors in the bigger pots straight off ... or wait to the middle/end of May and sow directly outdoors...... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results then....
            Last edited by RedThorn; 31-03-2009, 05:31 PM.
            Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Don't give up Nickerly, there's plenty of time to sow some more We all have things that keel over for no apparent reason

Comment

sow some more hunny, sounds like the cold got to them........
                Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Did you water them afterwards? Sometimes when I pot things up they go limp and look like they are dying but they perk up again

Comment

When I pot things on I put them in the shade for a day or two - under the greenhouse staging is favourite. I think the sun got to them.
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks for all your replies and encouragment. Sadly, two more have gone, but I think have solved the mystery...

They are looking very damp so I think I've drowned them.

Is there any way they can recover from being over watered? Or else I'll have to start again...

Comment

Let them dry out a bit Bring them away from the window for a bit so they don't get chilly overnight? Cold and wet will do more damage than just cold or just wet.

Comment

Good idea Sarah! Will move them now.

I think I've also over watered some seeds I've planted last week (still not germintaed). Will they spring up too once they have dried out a bit?

Comment

They might do, what sort of seeds are they? Some take a while to germinate anyway, but being too wet can make them rot.
                            If you have a warm airing cupboard you could put the seed trays in there for a day or so, or, put them over/near a radiator away from the window? Or, the top of a fridge or freezer towards the back often has warm air rising too.

Comment

Was a real mix of seeds SarzWix - parsely, chives, cucumber, courgette, sweet peas, tomato, onion.

They have all dried out now and will only be watered with an old energy drinks sports type bottle that can do nought but dribble on them.

Discovered that one of the beans died because 'it might have had a book dropped on it' and had a snapped stem. So at least that's one death of my conscience!

Why didn't anyone warn me that growing stuff takes patience

x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X