Raised Beds - does size matter? ;)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi
    Just to say I have raised beds from Harrod but they are link-a-bord ones. They are also 6 inches in depth and 1 x 2 m. I have two of this depth and 1 that is twice the depth for deeper rooted veg (basically two 1 x 2 kits, one on top of the other). I have had no problems with the size of them and this is the third year I am growing in them.
    AKA Angie

Comment

Hi self raising

are the raised beds on top of soil or rubbish ground?
      Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
      Independent Minds

Comment

Pretty rubbish ground really. Heavy clay and enough stones to build a house!
        AKA Angie

Comment

it is very easy to make you own movable ones, plus you can have them so you can adjust depth.
          all measurements in inches:

4 yard long lengths of 4x1 screwed together make one square 'section', then you need 4 foot& half ( or more depending on how high you are going) long lengths of 1x1, and drive them into the ground at the inside corners.
          then make another 'section', and you can just slot this over the corner pegs, then another 'section' and on and on until you reach the desired height, great for potatoes, cos you can add a section at a time for earthing up, and easy to dismantle if you want to move them, plus you can wallop a nice plastic cover over the top as a cold frame in winter. and definitely cheaper and more versatile than the plastic ones.

potato buckets? now you are just be provocative

here is a thought for you though, plastic flower buckets are perfect AND if you cut the bottom of some and place them on top of the first one, you have perfect earthing up mechanism
          Last edited by BrideXIII; 18-02-2009, 03:44 PM.
          Vive Le Revolution!!!
          'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
          Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Hmmm I do think wood does look nicer and no doubt cheaper but I'm hoping the plastic will last longer than wood would, particularly as my clay soil gets very wet in winter. I have also bought a kit this year which will fit onto the raised beds with hoops to throw over a plastic cover. Also the plastic for the raised bed comes from re-cycled plastic and I'm all in favour of that.
            AKA Angie

Comment

I'm another of the 'make it yourself' brigade, I'm sorry to say. My first set of raised beds cost £2.50 each - and that's because I bought the wood [from a salvage yard at 50p each]. They were 1.2m long and about 6 inches deep.

The rest of my wood for all the other raised beds currently in production are from either palletts [free] or from the job lot I got off a bloke that I followed through Derby as I saw it poking out the back of his van. I followed him to the tip and asked if I could have it off him. Got about 60 pieces, about 2m lengths - like shorter scaffold planks. Talking of scaffold planks, you can ask scaffolders for old planks and use those. I bought a wrecking bar from Aldi for £4 a couple of weeks ago and the palletts are being [wo]manhandled into pieces and reconstructed into smaller beds.

I couldn't bring myself to part with money for the plastic link-a-board types and if either of you were nearer I'd be round there myself making them for you. It's so easy, and the bought raised beds [wooden as well] are such a rip off for what they are it really annoys me!

But then again, I am a girl with a jigsaw, dremmel, cordless screwdriver and drills, and a circular saw...diy floats my boat but even so - raised beds are ridiculously easy and cheap to make - have a go..you might just surprise yourself.

Comment

Actually I might just have a go at a small one myself, I feel brave! Will have to do it while Hubbys out. Last time I had a drill in my hand, he nearly had a fit. Don't know what he thought I was gonna do with it, emergency dentistry perhaps! Will keep you posted.
                AKA Angie

Comment

I love the link-a-bord. Yes, they cost more than making them myself, but the previous owners had made beds from sleepers which only lasted 3 years on our wet clay, that's why I went with plastic. I had to move one this year and it was easy, no sure it would have been so with wood.
                  Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Originally posted by Lazgaot View Post
                    I was set on making raised beds for my allotment for the reason of bed demarcation and aesthetics. However having visited Charles Dowding's farm last year I changed my mind, the effort and cost put me off.
                    I haven't bothered with raised beds on my lottie, either. I just use old fence planks sunk into the soil to delineate the paths and keep the (free) bark chippings in place - they're probably slug havens, but getting the layout sorted is a higher priority at the moment. Once the paths are settled in (I'm thinking of trying the newspaper method described in GYO recently) I'll probably chuck the boards and go with unedged "mounded" beds.

I do have Link-a-Bord beds in the back garden, though, because the soil is rubbish and the ready-made beds are tidy and durable. Plus if we ever move we could take them with us (I'd want to returf the back garden anyway if I was selling the house, as the whole thing is pretty tatty!).

Very jealous of your visit - Charles Dowding's book "Organic Gardening the Natural No-Dig Way" is one of my main reference resources. I can feel another holiday in the West Country coming on...
                    Last edited by Eyren; 18-02-2009, 06:44 PM.

Comment

oh such a confused person am I....!

I do have a go at DIY and have a few projects on the planning table right now, but not much resource at my disposal, so not sure I want to add another one to my list.

seems like a pretty mixed bunch of opinions from a variety of seasoned gardeners!
                      gawd...
                      Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

You'll find that we all have different views on pretty much everything....just go with what you feel you want to do and ignore the rest

Comment

In all honesty, the best raised beds I've got are from recycled scaffold boards.....
                          Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I really like the idea of making them myself, and in truth I think I will in the future.
                            But on reflection for right now I feel I will buy one of the kits, either the link-a-bord ones which are 6in or the other ones which are 10in due to the awful earth condition.

I feel that this is going to best to start me off and because I have limited time and resource at my disposal.
                            Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

You know, you've garnered all of our opinions, and after some contemplation , you've stuck with your own views, and good for you.

You are in fine company - my mum always asks every person in the world that she knows about any dilemma that she has and always sticks with her first instincts anyhoo.

Happy gardening, Iamhanuman

Comment

Ok, indulge your spendthriftery on pre-formed plastic beds but balance it with tightwadery by buying builder's heavyweight plastic rubble sacks and punching drainage holes in for growing spuds

I consider this to be a perfect sitting on the fence position
                                If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X