Clear All

• zazen999
    replied
    See this for motivation....

allaboutallotments_Deep_bed_building

Leave a comment:

• Iamhanuman
    replied
    thanks david that is motivation at its best!!!

Leave a comment:

• DavidM31
    replied
    Just in case anyone was wondering about the picture, these raised beds are not mine,nor is it my plot. It's just a picture that I had on my computor for ideas of how to lay mine out. These are 8' x 4' and 7" high and are all ready for planting up.

Leave a comment:

• DavidM31
    replied
    It's not even a project

Originally posted by Iamhanuman View Post
    i do like the idea of making my raised beds myself
    i am still thinking about it
    the problem is while i'm thinking, nothing is getting planted!!
    i'm off to buy rubble sacks today
    Just to confuse you a bit more, if you are still thinking about making your own go over to utube, search raised beds and you can watch some very good video clips on making them and some other peoples gardens and allotments with them in. They are really are dead easy to make,its not even a diy project to drill and screw four lenghts of timber together and add a few stakes to each corner to anchor them.

As you live in rented accomodation, what to do with the soil should you move and take your raiseds beds with you, is not your problem.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Iamhanuman
    replied
    Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
    Nice looking bed, there, Fiona.
    agreed!!!!

that is what is tempting me - i want to stand back and impress myself and then post some pics!

Leave a comment:

• Hazel at the Hill
    replied
    Originally posted by FionaH View Post
    I am not a seasoned gardener, and I am pretty useless at DIY. That said even I managed to make a raised bed! The money saved on the beds can go to stuff I cant make, like the seed mountain I am accumulating They really are spectacularly easy and I could make em to fit the space I have. But if you want to buy the shiny ones you go right ahead, it's your garden after all

I made mine quite deep in case I grow award winning root crops (yeah right) but bare in mind they take some filling at that depth
    Nice looking bed, there, Fiona.

Leave a comment:

• Iamhanuman
    replied
    i do like the idea of making my raised beds myself
    i am still thinking about it
    the problem is while i'm thinking, nothing is getting planted!!
    i'm off to buy rubble sacks today

Leave a comment:

• FionaH
    replied
    I am not a seasoned gardener, and I am pretty useless at DIY. That said even I managed to make a raised bed! The money saved on the beds can go to stuff I cant make, like the seed mountain I am accumulating They really are spectacularly easy and I could make em to fit the space I have. But if you want to buy the shiny ones you go right ahead, it's your garden after all

I made mine quite deep in case I grow award winning root crops (yeah right) but bare in mind they take some filling at that depth
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Iamhanuman
    replied
    tightwadery! another great word
    hey we're gliding along here aren't we?

good karma then
    and i'm also going to be buying all my seeds (or at least most) from More Veg instead of Dobies!

Leave a comment:

• Hazel at the Hill
    replied
    Nice one, Eco-chic - perfect karma!

Leave a comment:

• Eco-Chic
    replied
    Ok, indulge your spendthriftery on pre-formed plastic beds but balance it with tightwadery by buying builder's heavyweight plastic rubble sacks and punching drainage holes in for growing spuds

I consider this to be a perfect sitting on the fence position

Leave a comment:

• Hazel at the Hill
    replied
    You know, you've garnered all of our opinions, and after some contemplation , you've stuck with your own views, and good for you.

You are in fine company - my mum always asks every person in the world that she knows about any dilemma that she has and always sticks with her first instincts anyhoo.

Happy gardening, Iamhanuman

Leave a comment:

• Iamhanuman
    replied
    I really like the idea of making them myself, and in truth I think I will in the future.
    But on reflection for right now I feel I will buy one of the kits, either the link-a-bord ones which are 6in or the other ones which are 10in due to the awful earth condition.

I feel that this is going to best to start me off and because I have limited time and resource at my disposal.

Leave a comment:

• RedThorn
    replied
    In all honesty, the best raised beds I've got are from recycled scaffold boards.....

Leave a comment:

• zazen999
    replied
    You'll find that we all have different views on pretty much everything....just go with what you feel you want to do and ignore the rest

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X