Raised Beds - does size matter? ;)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raised Beds - does size matter? ;)

I have decided to purchase raised beds to start my gardening year.
    I'm a novice but have heard and read good things about raised beds.
    I was going to buy the kits from Dobies which are 1mx1m and 10in in height, but a brochure in a recent 'Grow Your Own' from Harrod has kits which are 1mx1m and 6in in height for nearly half the price.

Can anyone tell me whether that extra 4 inches matters, and no smutty answers please?
    Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
    Independent Minds

Depends on what you have underneath..............
    (real answer - not smutty!)
    Tx

Comment

If you are using raised beds because you have absolutely awful clay soil or stony stuff, then the extra 4" is useful. However, if you want raised beds for demarcation - to have beds and paths that you can easily get between without standing on the soil - then it doesn't matter. Ours are about 6" and because the soil is deep and well worked they don't need to be deeper.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Also depends what you want to grow - 6" (even onto a fairly solid/clay base) is fine for salad crops, herbs, strawbs, dwarf beans, spinach etc and even for stump rooted carrots. Anything root-like would appreciate the extra depth though.

Personally (knowing how eyewateringly jaw-droppingly expensive these ready made beds are) I'd go for the 6". Actually, I'd make my own. A few stakes and tannalised (sp?) wood and you're there.

Comment

That's kind of what I was thinking.
          Would it always be better to go for the deeper one to be on the safe side, or it is a case of different depths for different things...? I.e. can a deeper one be unsuitable for some crops?

As you can guess I am totally new. I've dabbled in the past but this is my first year where I want to lay down some roots

You're in France?
          Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Hmmmm....
            Well here are my main reasons for the raised bed kits:

the position I have is over a bit of pretty rubbish ground
            they are supposed to be good for root warmth, etc
            they can be taken apart and stored when not in use

i have thought of making some with wood myself but the plastic kits seem better and easier to use year round - more adaptable

Dobies are around £30 10in height
            Harrod are around £19 6in height
            Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Originally posted by Iamhanuman View Post
              they can be taken apart and stored when not in use

i have thought of making some with wood myself but the plastic kits seem better and easier to use year round - more adaptable
              what were you thinking of doing with the soil that is in your raised beds when you have them packed away?

Dobies are around £30 10in height
              Harrod are around £19 6in height

...and if I'd just paid out 19 quid for 4 x 1m lenghts of plastic, I'd be growing things all year round!

Comment

Am I shocking everyone with my spendthiftery now! ? ! ?

Oh dear!

Am I going down the wrong route?

I was really thinking of using them all year round, but as they would be more lightweight and movable than wood, then I had that option.
                We rent our property so we always have to think of things being easily moved.

I had kind of ruled the wooden raised beds out and was going down the route of plastic. It has also had good reviews.

agh - i'm floundering now!
                Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

spendthriftery even
                  Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

You are only shocking me with your spendthriftery (what a great word!) because I am a tightwad.

Alright then - if you have to go with your gold plated raised beds, , go for the deeper ones - they will be more versatile. Mind you, that's even more soil that's going to have to shift to somewhere else if/when you pack the beds up to take with you...

Comment

As has already been said, I would make my own (jeez but we're a tight bunch on here) but if you are going to buy them and your ground is heavy clay, then I would say get the deeper ones.
                      The root veggies, carrots parsnips etc will appreciate that extra growing room.
                      I'm still unsure as to what you will do with all that soil if/when you pack the beds away, and I am sure that you must be able to find something cheaper than quoted prices to make your own. If you screw yours together rather than nailing, then they can be undone in a very short space of time anyway.
                      Either or, its cleary your choice and good luck.
                      Bob Leponge
                      Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Flummery raises two good points. I was set on making raised beds for my allotment for the reason of bed demarcation and aesthetics. However having visited Charles Dowding's farm last year I changed my mind, the effort and cost put me off.

I've made raised beds by simply digging out the paths and moving the soil onto the beds. This raised them above the level of the path. I've also added alot of manure and compost, raising the beds further. Simple and functional, but not as pretty! Luckily I have deep sandy / loamy soil.

I came across a site run by an allotment holder in Liverpool (all about liverpool or something like that). Google it and have a look at his raised beds, phenomenal!
                        My 2014 No Dig Allotment
                        My 2013 No Dig Allotment
                        My 2012 No Dig Allotment
                        My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

lol Hazel!

I figured I would work the soil into the beds around the lawn if I needed to.

I saw your blog by the way - your allotment looks so impressive with all those raised beds you've put in. Really blows me away.

I think as i'm starting small i'm going to go for the deeper ones. They are more expensive, but I think the positioning etc it would be better.
                          I'm trying to cut costs everywhere else and as i'm planning on growing a load of my own veg...

thanks for the advice everyone.
                          My next question is potato buckets!!!!
                          let's see how controversial that one is!
                          Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

lol Hazel!

I saw your blog by the way ......all those raised beds you've put in.
                            Thank you! I feel that I'm getting to know a bit about the subject, put it that way!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                              I feel that I'm getting to know a bit about the subject, put it that way!
                              You most certainly are!
                              When I do come to making my own, I know who i'll ask for advice!!!
                              Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X