Are they supposed to feel squishy?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are they supposed to feel squishy?

Hi, daft question for you, but its puzzling me.
    I have planted some Stuttgart onion sets and they seem to be growing quite happily, tall green shoots etc, however the bulb part feels a little bit squishy, not hard like I thought it would. Should I be worried about this or is this what they do?
    The slugs have been nibbling some of the bulbs too, so I have uprooted those and binned them. I did start them off in modules because of my heavy clay soil but have planted them on into a raised bed of better stuff.
    Thanks
    Janie
    Sherbet, possibly the smallest rabbit in the world....

Thanks for asking that Janie. I planted mine two weeks ago and was surprised at how many of them had gone squishy. I only planted those which were firm.

Those which have not been pulled up by birds, despite being netted, are now showing green shoots, so the planted ones must have been healthy.
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Ummm, none of mine are squishy
      www.poultrychat.com

Comment

In the past when mine have gone squishy(my onions that is !) they have rotted off. The bulbs usually stay quite firm once they start to grow.I'd give them abit longer and see what happens. If they do go really soft and squiggy, remove them.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye on them!!
          Do you think it could be the variety of set I have planted then?? The leaves look ok and are growing bigger and fatter each day? I'll just have to wait and see.
          Janie
          x

Comment

Might be. I always grow sturron, and red baron now cos I like them best,and seem less inclined to go 'squishy' as some others I've grown in the past.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Lyndap, I've made a note of those names ready for next year.
              Janie
              x

Comment

It was my red baron which had gone squishy. Not all of them, but alot to make me wonder whether I had stored them properly. Any tips on storing the onions when they are received in Feb/March before planting out ?
                ~
                Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Oh I didn't think of that, I bought mine quite late (so they would have been warm in B&Q) as I had also tried growing some from seed. I just left the sets in the dining room for a few days but I suppose it was maybe too warm for them in there. Looks like it might be my fault after all.
                  Where should I keep them? (I don't have a shed now as my old one leaked in so I have replaced it with a patio for my OH, as my greenhouses are happily standing in my unchuffed husband's sunny beer-drinking spot).
                  Janie
                  x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X