Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Ash

Hello

I've got a huge pile of wood ash. Can anyone please give me advice on what to do with it?

Is their certain veg that love it and others that would hate it? Is it best to use on alkaline or acid loving plants?

Is it best to dig it in or sprinkle it on top?

Can I use it in the compost bin? If yes, is their a limit to the amount?

Help, please?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards
    Tracey
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Hello Tracey,

Wood ash suppose to be rich in potassium (kalium). you can both sprinkle it on top or dig in your ground (can be for acid soil and alkaline soil). your root crop will love it such as garlic, carrot,beet,etc.
    Hope this help.
    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Thanks Momol
      Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

I put it round our fruit trees and also in the bed for roots. Seems to work well enough for me
        Bob Leponge
        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

It is said to be very good for potatoes and gooseberries. Until I started saving the ash from our wood burning stove for the potatoes I'm going to plant next month, we put it in our compost.

Comment

Don't get your Phosphorus confused with your Potash. Phosphurus is good for roots. Potash (Potassium) is good for flowers and fruits. Wood ash is a source of Potassium therefore you can shovel it onto your tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and flowering plants. Momol is right, it is also a good soil improver.
            Last edited by Vecten; 20-02-2008, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Potassium is needed as well as phosphorus to form healthy root. Potash play a lot of important role in plant,have a look at this link :
              Ballance - Potassium and plants
              I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Just dont put it around blueberries or other acid loving plants.

I put loads about my fruit and garlic.

Comment

hello,
                  i herd that slugs and snails hate wood ash and wont cross it! havent tried it because i havent got my hands on any yet, but a friend of mine swears by it!
                  hope it helps a little, buttercup.

Comment

Good to hear that it's not dangerous... my plot is in my back garden and the lady who lived here before had an incinerator. I was digging the plot yesterday and kept coming across the ash that she must have thrown on it, or dug in last year.

pjh
                    pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X