New Year New Plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Year New Plot

Hi everybody I am a primary school teacher and the daughter of farmer which isnt alot of help when farmers are always busy.
    Anyway I have a new allotment and a school plot to fill, we have a pond at school and nature area.
    My thread was taken off seedswap but I would like some help to fill my plot.
    I am having not only to design and plan my own allotment but also the school. I would be glad of any ideas for using recycled materials on the plot i am already using old pallets as comost bins but am keen on making most of the things i need.

Hi and welcome to the vine. I expect if you use the search facility and put in 'recycle' or 'design' you should get some results that will help you.

Good luck with it all.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Welcome to the vine and good luck with your project.
      Food for Free

Comment

welcome frmo me too and if you try your local freecycle group you might be luck & pick up some things fromthere its worth a shot
        The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Welcome from one newbie to another - good luck with the project - I suppose you have asked parents / grandparents for ideas / support - don't ask, don't get

NKP1962
          From Plot to Plate
          NKP1962
          The Allotment Directory - coming soon (watch this space!)
          Movember - I am growing a 'tache in support of men's health

Comment

Welcome to the vine vwilson!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

There's a few links on this thread which may help you too VWilson http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...lot_11928.html

Comment

Hello and welcome to the Vine!!!

Looks like there are loads of schools looking for fruit/veg/herbs to grow!!!
                FANTASTIC!!!!

Ok - back to basics...there is loads of info on the 'search' icon on the top right of the forum ( just below the welcome message on the right)
                Let us know what you are looking for and maybe we can be more specific with our suggestions???

Just a thought to the PTB....how about a school/educational thread so that all previous experiences/suggestions are shared??

Ps ...I still request a nature thread please???...are you really wanting me to dance around au naturale with a daisy in my teeth ...AGAIN.....
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Aaaargh! Not again Nicos!!!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I'd like a nature thread too.....but please don't do the daisy thing Nicos!
                    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Hi, vwilson, as others have said there's much information to be had on these boards. If you're growing fruit and veg on your school plot though you may struggle to find things which only need harvesting before or after the summer break. You may also find that, of those plants that you can grow, at least one of your pupils has an allergy to it, or that they are things which children simply don't find palatable (radishes spring to mind), or that parts of the plant are poisonous and probably not a good idea if very young children might gain access unsupervised. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here, I think that growing food should be a part of every school's policy, though I appreciate that it's not always possible, I'm just saying that it probably won't be as straight forward as planning your own plot. There are loads of 'fun' veg to grow though and at least one of the seed companies produces a range for kids (Sutton's, I think) so you might find some ideas from a look at their catalogue.

Good luck, bluemoon.
                      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Thanks to eveyone for there help and advice sorry i havent been on earlier i came down was a case of vertigo inner ear infection apparently so havent been on the internet having to take a dose of tablets but still dizzy tho.

Anyways while i am off for a bit i was going to take up so therory and do some reading, so can anyone recommend books i should get ( well hubby is going to the library for me).
                        I have got a load of graph paper and am plotting as we speak.

Comment

A few that i've found useful are;

The Vegetable & Herb Expert by Dr Hessayon
                          The Allotment Handbook by Andi Clevely
                          Grow Your Own Veg by Carol Klein
                          The Great Vegetable Plot by Sarah Raven
                          and How to Be a Gardener by Alan Titchmarsh

Hope you feel better soon

Comment

I'd recommend that children grow spuds...fairly quick, and fun to dig up. This link might help, they give free spuds to schools...
                            British Potato Council - potatoes for schools
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X