Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato leaf problems! Help identifying/solving

Hi there,

I have a question about my tomato plant leaves. Some plants, mainly ones that have been left in greenhouse have what looks like scorched leaves - papery leaves that have curled and crumbled in some cases - but also some have small dark brownish spots on them.

I would like some help with identifying the problem please. Is it just leaf scorch from the hot weather we had or fromcold weather at night? And what are the brown spots?

I have uploaded four photos but not sure if they have uploaded properly! Any advice re would also be welcome?

Thanks and stay safe.

Happy growing
    Attached Files

Ah, looks like the images uploaded after all!

Also any advice about how to solve the problems with my tomatoes and their poor leaves woulkd be great.

Thyanks guys

Comment

Ah, looks like the images uploaded after all!

Also any advice about how to solve the problems with my tomatoes and their poor leaves woulkd be great.

Thanks guys

Comment

Cold weather at night is almost certainly the cause - I had one night here about 3 weeks ago when there was a frost, but as it was forecast I pushed all my plants in the poly tunnel up together and put a blanket over them, which did the job for almost all of them.

The brown bits are a bit more dead than the pale bits BTW :-) I wouldn't worry as it looks for the photos that the leaves nearer to the top of the plants are fine and as this is where the important growing tip is your plants will recover OK. They may need potting on into larger sized containers soon BTW - Toms do not react well to being root-bound early on.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
          Toms do not react well to being root-bound early on.
          Really? Mine are 18 inches tall and still in 9cm pots. I guess I ought to repot them.
          I assumed it would be fine as tomatoes are very resilient and root very easily, so I thought worst case scenario I could just tear at the roots a bit when I plant them out and they'd be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
            Really? Mine are 18 inches tall and still in 9cm pots. I guess I ought to repot them.
            I assumed it would be fine as tomatoes are very resilient and root very easily, so I thought worst case scenario I could just tear at the roots a bit when I plant them out and they'd be fine.
            Just my personal experience - others may have found them to react differently I suppose. Probably if you subsequently plant them deeper than normal then they will make new roots from the stems and the effect will be slight. That's one of the problem with gardening, unless you do a scientific comparison with similar plants grown in different ways, all you really have is a series of experiences ... though quite a long one in my case :-)

Comment

Thanks for your reply nickdub. It has put my mind at ease and looking forward to healthy plants and tomatoes.

Comment

Nickdub, you seem very knowledgable at least more so than me! If you have chance please could you take a look at my post about my cucumber/courgette/squash leaf problems - https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1704678

I am having trouble identifying this too, if you get a chance to have a quick look I would be grateful for any thoughts you had on this too.

Thanks again and enjoy your weekend

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                  Just my personal experience - others may have found them to react differently I suppose. Probably if you subsequently plant them deeper than normal then they will make new roots from the stems and the effect will be slight. That's one of the problem with gardening, unless you do a scientific comparison with similar plants grown in different ways, all you really have is a series of experiences ... though quite a long one in my case :-)
                  Oh, I plan on planting them deep. There isn't really enough light in my conservatory, so they've gotten rather leggy. I actually plan on putting them out on my patio from tomorrow, as we're getting a series of mild nights. That should help with the light problem.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X