Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I store these to plant next year?

Hi,
    Totally new to any form of gardening, we are in the process of having our garden re-landscaped, so we are very excited to have a garden to enjoy and learn. The link below appeared in my facebook feed and I have jumped on it thinking what a great deal and worth a punt for the price. My question is can I store these bulbs to plant next spring or should i just get them in the ground when they arrive?

https://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/s...mega-box-16326

Actually a few of us bought those last year.
    Personally I would leave them there and buy them when your garden is ready for them.

If there was the same offer last year and this ...no doubt you would probably see it next year.
    It's hit and miss whether dahlias survive over winter without storing the tubers well. As they would need planting late...they are usually started May time, you are likely to loose a few.
    I lost quite a lot....

Welcome to the vine.

Comment

Hi Excel and welcome

I bought a similar offer last year - there are photos of the bulbs at https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1612401

I planted the dahlias and amaryllis straight away - in pots. The gladioli, sat around in the GH overwinter as I didn't really want them. They would have been OK to plant in spring though not as firm as they were when arrived. 800 gladioli were a bit overwhelming!!

I'm tempted by this new offer as I want some more oriental lilies. Thanks.

Comment

You just can't help yourself can you!!

For the more sensible of us.....
        https://www.peternyssen.com/

I use P Nyssen. I'm just about to place my order of tulips. They get delivered at the correct planting time.
        Usually half the price of S@rah R@ven, they often stock the same varieties. Their dahlia tubers are fab too.

Have you looked at their lilies VC?
        Last edited by Scarlet; 05-08-2019, 04:45 PM.

Comment

You know me, Scarlet. 2 packs ordered. Cheap and cheerful, that's me!!

I've just looked at Nyssen and they do look good and reasonable..
          I was going to buy a load more lilies as they've been gorgeous this year.

Comment

Welcome to the vine Excel

As for you other 2 ladies, I refuse to be dragged into your sordid cheap bulb buying antics . About 2 years early for, so I’m not even looking

Comment

Thanks everyone,
              So much to learn Will show my gardener what I bought when he comes back from his holiday next week. We have a good budget with him for plants once he has finished the groundwork. Just could not help myself.

Comment

It's impossible not to want to get stuck in Excel - I know how you feel! And welcome to the vine
                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Excel View Post
                  Thanks everyone,
                  So much to learn Will show my gardener what I bought when he comes back from his holiday next week. We have a good budget with him for plants once he has finished the groundwork. Just could not help myself.
                  OMG...already down the slippery slope

Comment

So these finally turned up. One of the carrier bag bulbs seem a little damp. What would give me the best chances to save them for next year?

image url

Comment

The dahlias will need potting up/ planting in the ground now or they won't survive. Not all will survive anyway....so if things aren't ready just plant up the ones that have shoots.

I don't grow gladioli so I'm probably not the beat to give info on those.

# the gladioli that have sprouted I would pot up - it's unlikely they will last until after Xmas.
                      Last edited by Scarlet; 18-08-2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X