Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically its a lean-to so could be attached to the south facing wall of garage or shed.

Its 3m in width so fits across x3 uprights of allotment perimeter fence.

Inbetween these struts I have cabled tied horizontally 38mm heras panel vertical struts that I removed from some earlier panels. The top roof arched panel is then clamped using x4 standard heras panel clamps that are used to join panels together. it is a very rigid structure because of this.

The front panel is joined under the lip of the arched roof and tied in place using mild steel metal cable.

Its relatively quick to put up and more importantly no dangerous glass on unattended plot. There are families & children on my site so it is a consideration.

The UV rated plastic sheet should last a couple of years.

The plant tray is extended out by 6" air gap from back wall. It would have to be the "Jason Bourne" of snails... ��
    Last edited by no_akira; 17-05-2017, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Assuming that the back of the tunnel is a boundary fence, half of the water falling on the arched roof will run off over the fence and be lost. If the roof had been left as a flat panel, it could have been higher at the back than the front and all the rain water could have been saved.
      Cutting and bending the roof panel seems a waste of effort to me.

EDIT We cross-posted but you have confirmed that its a boundary fence.
      Last edited by veggiechicken; 17-05-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
        Where's Cadalot when you need him

Hence my worry about the lack of pallets... Its not rocket science / brain surgery
        Are you saying that BECAUSE it doesn't have enough pallets it's not rocket science or brain surgery?

Another question I have about the design is how is the front secured. I cant tell if it's just butting up against those stakes at the edge of the bed or it it is actually fixed to them. With the former there is a big risk that a gust of wind will lift the front up. If it's the latter how long are those stakes?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

See - no_akira knows what they're doing

Educate *and* entertain..
          no_akira - you should (perhaps not) see my plot GH - its a thing of hmmmmm...
          sigpic
          1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Shouty mods - confuse and befuddle is my mantra
            Pallets are generally essential IMHO for any build though I could be wrong and usually am / are.
            I was a little disheartened by the lack of positiveness on this thread that is all.
            sigpic

Comment

Baldy, as I said before, I need to understand how its built before I form an opinion. No point enthusing about anything just for the sake of it. That would be false and you would expect me to be honest at all times

Comment

Poll poll poll about that VC
                Anyhow - the picture and explanation are pretty convincing IMHO
                Pallets my little joke to myself.. anyhow I'm with no_akira so there
                sigpic

Comment

The reason for the arched roof is improved rigidity vs a flat roof. MK1 version from last year had a flat roof. Snow & water collected and bowed it inwards.

The rear of roof is offset using the clamps means water runs inside the perimeter fence down the sheets and under the block paving and into area under path.

Comment

How is the front panel secured to the ground?

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

its not, the weight of the arch roof pushing down keeps the front panel in place. But it could easily be staked.

Comment

Originally posted by no_akira View Post
                        The rear of roof is offset using the clamps means water runs inside the perimeter fence down the sheets and under the block paving and into area under path.
                        That's not clear from your photos as it looks like odd pieces of ?plastic attached to the fence that are lower than the roof. Would you propose doing the same if it was attached to a shed or garage wall?

Comment

Yes it would be a little harder, you would somehow have to mount clamps to hold the horizontally mounted tubular struts for the 5" clamps / couplers to mount onto

Comment

You have the Heras Vertical Supports cable tied to the fence - are they connected to the fence post or to the fence mesh?

If it's the latter how is the mesh connected to the posts?

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

The horizontal struts fit exactly across the angled steel fence posts (a couple mm longer) they are wedged in and cable tied using the giant 16mm wide tree cable ties. Around where the strut meets fence post.

Comment

https://youtu.be/vt0Y39eMvpI
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X