Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Layered Apple Tree

Hello.
    I have a Bardsey apple tree, the tree is not that old - this is the third summer in the ground, and I want to cut back one of the branches. I decided to air layer the branch - which I did today. My question is how long should it take to see if it has been a success?

Thanks.

I have found its best to leave it till the autumn to cut off the branch and plant them out then, use a clear outer so you can see the roots form , but cover it with something like foil to protect from light so uncover just the alu foil to check the roots without disturbing them, apples seem to take about 3-4 months.
    I did a bit of a guide years ago here
    My Bulgarian House Renovation: Gardening Techniques (my-bulgarian-house-renovation.blogspot.com)
    Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Thank you for your reply and the web link.
      I have done pretty much what you did in your guide. But I used a plastic coleslaw tub with a snap on lid. I cut out two notches in the tub to take the branch. Used rooting powder - filled the tub with damp compost, snapped the lid on - covered with cling film - then kitchen foil and the whole thing covered with black polythene.
      Many thanks again.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X