No announcement yet.

Awesome Ideas Of 2017!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking of a 500 x 500mm heat mat on top of a 600mm x 600mm board with four or 5 door stop feet to stop any heat transfer into the top of the freezer in my outside shed with a light source above that can be adjusted. options are

Between £9.99 - £20 I could buy a panel but they are only 310x310x35mm (L x W x D)

225 LED 14W Grow Panel Red Blue Hydroponic Light Board Grow Tent LED hanger | eBay

Make something up like you have or

Buy the led bulbs and fix 5 to another 600x600 sheet material one bulb at 300,300 and the others 150,150 in from each corner like a five on a dice, suspended from the roof of the store, above the heat pad.
    Last edited by Cadalot; 01-01-2017, 07:38 PM.
    sigpic
    . .......Man Vs Slug
    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
    Nutters Club Member

Comment

Looks like you have various options to consider. Will look forward to the final build.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I am really liking the grow light ideas.

Could you put cads square lights on to your box lid.?
        Last edited by Ms-T; 01-01-2017, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
          I am really liking the grow light ideas.

Could you put cads square lights on to your box lid.?
          Yes I could but would need 2 as the lid is 2ft x 1ft.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Here's my newly primed growlights frame. IKEA growlights but didn't fancy spending on the frames / accoutrements. Ideally I'll stick a handle on top but it's already easy to move about. Can get a couple of trays on it. Might box it in with some silver foil.
            The car battery in the background may be featured later in this thread.

Attached Files
            sigpic
            1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Had a bit of a setback with one of my other ideas. I've taken an old leaky water barrel, drilled out a hole on the bottom, screwd some wood in across the open end to run an axle through - used a gas blowtorch to cut out a flap on the side, mounted the beast on some breeze blocks, filled it with compostable matter and given it a spin.

The Chinese 'steel' of the mop handle that I optimistically used as the axle wasn't up to the job. My DIY spinning composter will have to wait till something sturdier can be felched...
              sigpic

Comment

Balders, There are loads of videos for those spinning composters in YouTube and I'm quite amazed what they get away with using as an axel. I did consider having a go but not on the allotment enough to spin it every day. Looking forward to seeing the next version once you iron out the bugs.

Here is a thought for you, could you rig a water mill on the axel off the greenhouse or shed guttering to turn the barrel for you. You don't usually visit the plot in the rain but the discharge of water turns your compost for you on rainy days.

I know scatty idea, but for years I have been using a ladder and metal detector to scan walls for hoop iron. My inventive side has been woken up by this thread, and with the recent ice, and the fact another surveyor recently fell from a ladder whist undertaking a survey and ended up with broken bits and in a wheel chair for a while, it suddenly occurred to me that if I mounted the metal detector on an extending pole I did not have to use the ladder and eliminated the risk!

My heat pad and LED Pad have arrived http://cadalot-allotment.blogspot.co...ls-arrive.html Along with the Rotary Sieve that I bought from Germany as cheaper than the Welsh version, they show a price on their web site with vat & delivery then when you click UK mainland as the postal region they hike the delivery price up, and so does the vat and your not paying the price the original google search finds for you. The German one is sold with postage included and is cheaper than the one in the UK!

I have bit the bullet and bought CFL lights and fittings for a second stage Grow Station or to assist growth in the Ikea Mini Greenhouse Alans Allotment: Grow Light Station 2 Cost me £25.65 but I don't drink (much), smoke or come to think about it have sex that frequently these days, so I may as well get some enjoyment somewhere I guess
                Last edited by Cadalot; 07-01-2017, 08:58 AM.
                sigpic
                . .......Man Vs Slug
                Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  Yes I could but would need 2 as the lid is 2ft x 1ft.
                  I bought it for £9.99 with free delivery, I will let you know how well it works as soon as I can clear the shed and get cracking trialling it. Clearing the shed was the plan for today until rain has stopped play!
                  sigpic
                  . .......Man Vs Slug
                  Nutters Club Member

Comment

I'm really pleased with my little setup, it only runs at about 20w so not expecting miracles but so far, so good...........MK2 is almost ready to be published...........

Comment

My "Awesome" idea for 2017 is to have a dedicated "Grow Room"

It's now cleared, gunna strip it, re-plaster it, including the ceiling, drop the ceiling some six inch to meet the top of the window recess, install down lighters, all new cornice, door frames and skirting, and the boiler cupboard is in there, shelf that out for propagating seedlings.

Then proper Kitchen units all round, with proper tops not sure yet wether to "Mylex" the interiors, or clad n paint pure matt white, install the grow lights! Job's a good un!
                      "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Deano don't forget the photos when it's done!
                        sigpic
                        . .......Man Vs Slug
                        Nutters Club Member

Comment

Cad! Hoping to video it, although not "Techy" in the least, will be done on my iPhone!
                          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

I fear that if I had a 'grow room' temptation would get the better of me...

Remember to put lots of insulation to limit the infrared emissions
                            sigpic

Comment

Hey! Baldy! Not got my door kicked in yet! Maybe another story!

Comment

Deano, I have a spare room if you want to have a practice run first...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X