making drainage holes in supermarket flower buckets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tomatoe View Post
    The trick to drilling through them is to apply very light pressure, once you find the "sweet spot" you'll be fine
    Thats actually the quote i wanted

simple as that

Comment

I used my husbands battery drill and one of those bits that have a point in the middle that then goes a lot wider. (No idea what it's name or proper use is). I stacked the pots and did 4 or so at a time. Nice big holes.

I'd ask hubby it's name but then he'll want to know why and then I'll probably get a lecture in not using tools for their proper purpose etc and then he'll be off to check I haven't damaged anything.............I haven't.

Comment

Too late Green, youve been rumbled and he is now amassing the evidence

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
          I used my husbands battery drill and one of those bits that have a point in the middle that then goes a lot wider. (No idea what it's name or proper use is).
          That's a bit designed for drilling holes in wood. It's the one I'd have used for this job, too. If husband complains, tell him I told you.

My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
            That's a bit designed for drilling holes in wood. It's the one I'd have used for this job, too. If husband complains, tell him I told you.

Oh I will......

At least I had the common sense to turn it off the "hammer" setting first.

In fact he should be happy I have added a new tool to my DIY repertoire which normally consists of gaffer tape and a hammer.

Comment

Screwdriver
              DottyR

Comment

SeveraL points, flower buckets are available at the co-op, they give me them free at ours.

The wood drilling bit is ideal and makes a nice clean hole. The hot screw driver or knife also works well but if your husband walks in and catches you in the act make sure he doesnt snatch a red hot screw driver off you. I usualy drill large holes one inch or bigger, the compost doesnt come out.
                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions - my local Morrisons actually sells the flower buckets at 8 for 99p - don't know whether that's just the local manager's initiative.

Comment

The last time I went to Morrissons they were that price but Asda wouldn't sell me any this year they said they have to go back for recycling.

Comment

Originally posted by highonthehill View Post
                      Thanks for all the suggestions - my local Morrisons actually sells the flower buckets at 8 for 99p - don't know whether that's just the local manager's initiative.
                      I think most morrisons sell them. Our local co op is to.
                      sigpic

Comment

Great thread!

...lots of very interesting and useful advice!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Small drill bit. Easy. Just put in quite a few holes. I use my Dremel.

Comment

Originally posted by noviceveggrower View Post
                            I think most morrisons sell them. Our local co op is to.
                            The Morrisons here won't sell them anymore, they say they use them themselves. Very nice man in W'rose just gave me 28 though. Should be an interesting trip home on the tube.
                            Last edited by sparrow100; 10-06-2015, 05:25 PM.
                            http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I use an old leatherwork braddle.

When I asked in Morrisons the woman said no.
                              Husband wandered in and woman gave him 13 buckets and a very flirty smile

She was lucky not to end up wearing a bucket on her head .
                              http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                Potty says heat a cooper pipe and push it through. I don't have any copper pipe so I heated the OH's screw driver on the top of the aga and that worked a treat
                                Of course you have now taken all the tempering out of the screw driver and it will be useless as a screw driver.
                                Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X