No announcement yet.

new garden hose needed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with arpoet. Too complicated. You talk about 8 second different from the main tap to the tap at 100m away. I don't understand why this worried you too much. If you think that it will take to long to water everything maybe invest in some irrigation sistem with a timer so it will save time for you even if the water come at 10 gallon per hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarico View Post
      You talk about 8 second different from the main tap to the tap at 100m away. I don't understand why this worried you too much.

You are confusing too separate facets of the conversation.

The point you refer to relates to Potstubsdustbins saying that flow rate should not fall along the pipe and as a consequence I am going to try a different test to measure the flow. That test was using a fat 32mm pipe - vastly different from a 1/2" / 13mm hose. I agree that 8 seconds doesn't matter, the discussion point was on whether there should be a flow-rate difference, or not.

With regard to 1/2" hose, which is what most people will actually be using to water with, my tests are that it takes 85% longer to get the same amount of water out of the end of 100M of 1/2" hose. To me that is highly significant. Let's assume that hand watering would take me an hour to do, if I use a 100M of 1/2" hose that would increase to 1hr 51m. If you have great water pressure and don't have this problem, or have the time available, that's great. But I think there are people with large gardens who buy regular 1/2" hose without realising that it may double the time it takes them to water their gardens

f you think that it will take to long to water everything maybe invest in some irrigation sistem with a timer so it will save time for you even if the water come at 10 gallon per hour.

I do have irrigation in my garden for things that need regular watering, such as newly planted hedges, but I also do a fair amount of hand watering for annuals dotted about the borders, container plants "stood" temporarily in gaps in the beds etc.
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

My pipe is connected via a bib tap which has a check valve. Burying it as suggested is to stop it freezing; too much like hard work! I drain it down in winter. If a hose is connected when draining all water should be syphoned out.

If time is of the essence why use watering cans? I use a gun with a variable flow rate, which stops plants being blasted. They are pricey, but save time. Best one I can currently see is atSuper Pro Multi-Pattern Spray Gun - Harrod Horticultural (UK)

Only times I use cans is when there is a hose ban and using water from butts.
        Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Ok if you try to make a point ok that make sense. Plus I just don't know how big your garden is so maybe that's why I don't understand why does it matter a lot. My ploy doesn't have a tap so I water my plant with a watering can and it take me about 1 hr to do everything plu another 3 to carry cans of water from home to the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
            If time is of the essence why use watering cans?
            Just in case I confused everyone I used a bucket purely to measure how long it took to fill - not to measure the "amount" so much as to be able to compare a short hose with a long one, and a thin pipe with a fat one.

Originally posted by Sarico View Post
            I just don't know how big your garden is so maybe that's why I don't understand why does it matter a lot
            I very much doubt that it makes any difference for anyone using 25M or 50M of hose. But longer than than that I think it may well be worth considering.
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X