No announcement yet.

Repair of water butt

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There should be a little triangle of arrows moulded into the plastic somewhere with letters in the center to say how it can be recycled, this will say what it is , usually it is on the base

You should be hoping for a pvc or petg they are usual water tanks and easiest to fix, some strange tanks use ABS ( unlikely to find one ) any of these 3 can be welded or bonded....a solvent weld is best

If it is PP or PE , LDPE or HDPE then you need to use a primer and cyanoacrylate kit.....or something like contact cement on the inside or heat weld it with a soldering iron or hot knife

There is something to bond every plastic....it depends how much you want to bond it! ,

I get emails from people wanting to repair waterbuts hundreds of times a month!
    Last edited by starloc; 05-02-2015, 05:50 PM.
    Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

I once bought a water butt mail order. When it arrived, there was a small hole in it. I complained and a new one was delivered but I was left with the one with the hole also. I repaired the hole with a plastic bolt and nut(one of the type used for fixing number plates with some silicon for belt and braces. Still have it

Comment

I'll reinspect the water butt tomorrow in daylight, see how big and awkward the holes are as well as look for any markings!

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
          I once bought a water butt mail order. When it arrived, there was a small hole in it. I complained and a new one was delivered but I was left with the one with the hole also. I repaired the hole with a plastic bolt and nut(one of the type used for fixing number plates with some silicon for belt and braces. Still have it
          Exactly I repaired mine with 2 pieces old rubber 1 inch sq roughly.
          Nut and bolt through ( like washers )
          still going no problem
          cheers Peter

Comment

#16 If you go down the solvent road, listen to Starloc, he is the glue expert, he makes the stuff.
            Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 05-02-2015, 09:14 PM.
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Tried the standard plumbers solvent weld to day, sorry to report it did not work on my butt.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                Can you get a red hot knife on it and weld some plastic from the butt over the holes.
                This is more primitive but the principle is still the same:

sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

They used to sell pot menders years ago, maybe they still do, Two large washers sandwiching a cork washer with a small bolt through the lot. We used to repair chicken drinkers with them.One of those and a bit of silicone would do it if its a small hole.
                  photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

#22 I have to say, that chap has done that before, many times by the look of him.

If you go down the hot iron route do remember, molten plastic sticks to skin and is hard to get rid of before you have a nasty burn. That would be experience talking

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                      This is more primitive but the principle is still the same: VIDEO [see above]
                      I couldn't quite work out what he was using but the musical soundtrack was nice.... It also kept flashing up on screen "MEET OLDER RUSSIAN WOMEN" so very useful, BM, I've now got a water butt that leaks and a date....

Comment

Originally posted by bazzaboy View Post
                        I couldn't quite work out what he was using but the musical soundtrack was nice.... It also kept flashing up on screen "MEET OLDER RUSSIAN WOMEN" so very useful, BM, I've now got a water butt that leaks and a date....
                        Well leave it leaking and get Olga to carry water from the river!
                        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I wouldn't know Bazza, I had the sound muted................
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                          -----------------------------------------------------------
                          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I it is an expensive container then maybe a repair is just about worth it. But they crack because the plastic has gone brittle and will soon crack again, i use cracked containers for plants (potatoes) with the bonus that they already have drainage. The type shown in the film can be bought very cheaply.
                            Last edited by Bill HH; 07-02-2015, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Baz - I bet you were offended to be offered an "Older" Russian women. Wonder how much "older" they are

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                                If it is an expensive container then maybe a repair is just about worth it. But they crack because the plastic has gone brittle and will soon crack again, i use cracked containers for plants (potatoes) with the bonus that they already have drainage. The type shown in the film can be bought very cheaply.
                                I agree Bill, I've wrecked a few by leaving some water in over winter and the ice expansion cracks them... I did successfully seal some very minor cracks using a cook's blowtorch but any substantial crack seems quite difficult to seal.... I haven't tried potatoes but I have used a couple of cracked ones for carrots, an added benefit being that they're too high for carrot fly.... Bit of a pain digging them out whole (but I can get old Olga to do that this year! )

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X