No announcement yet.

Gravity Fed Irrigation!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about having two outlets from the barrel and set up the irrigation tubing as a loop ? That way, the tubing is always full of water

Comment

Knowing my luck I'd end up going 'ed over t*t..................
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Doing it in a loop is the way to go as it equalises the pressure. You just need a Y junction. Lidl had/have them along with other hose connections.

Comment

I'm really happy with the setup as it is. Thanks for the advice though
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

hi all, that looks a great set up you`ve got there bm ! somone asked this already but i cant find the answer ,where did you get the drippers from ?,cheers
            The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
              hi all, that looks a great set up you`ve got there bm ! somone asked this already but i cant find the answer ,where did you get the drippers from ?,cheers
              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1220457

Comment

I had it bookmarked but you still beat me to it

Comment

thats great ,thanks to the both of you ,cheers
                  The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                    Hi, I've been fortunate to source a couple of large barrels. So taking http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ice_76836.html a touch further, I cut the tap off a wine bag & glued it into the barrel, left it overnight for the glue to set & have just checked it....[ATTACH=CONFIG]42691[/ATTACH]....perfect. Now back to my point.........I plan to use them in the kite when I eventually get it up but am a tad stumped as to how to use it. I have considered the following:

Assuming the barrel will be sat on some kind of platform (not sure of the height yet).

Soaker Hose - Due to it been gravity fed, I'm not sure the water will reach the full length of the hose.
                    Irrigation kit - Cheap enough to buy but same problem as above, I don't think the water will reach the last dripper.
                    Tubing with Aquarium in-line air taps - Same principle as the irrigation kit but the air taps have a screw tap so can adjust the flow.

Have I missed anything?..............as always your advice is appreciated.
                    Justa thought, if you connected a standard pice of hose to yr barrel, then connect the other end to the middle of your soaker hose, you would have a more even distribution of water throughout the length. Hope this helps )

Comment

Gravity irrigation

I went for a kit from Tank Fed Irrigation
                      Seems good quality but not sure how it will perform yet. May need to set up a timer. The guidance notes suggest limiting the number of drippers in a series to 5 or 6 so that equal amount of water reach all the emitters. The emitters are adjustable & various configurations are possible to optimise even flow. Tee connections allow multiple tanks to be connected & branches mean fewer emitters need to be connected in series. My main concern is that flow will be too rapid so that reservoir empties in hours rather than days, this manufacturer does not make a timer yet, though one is planned apparently.
                      Trying to think of a way to kink rubber hose for a few days, then open flow. That would mean greenhouse could be left for about a week. Imagining weights on hose tipping off when tweaked by string spooling around alarm clock winders, very Heath Robinson I know.
                      I'm sure S.A.S booby trap manual would have a simple delay trigger mechanism that could open flow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        I'm really happy with the setup as it is. Thanks for the advice though
                        So am I - got another blue drum, so ordered some more hose and drippers (from the links) for my 2nd greenhouse

Job's a good'un!

Comment

Sorry if this has already been answered but haven't read the whole thread. I read early in the thread was thoughts about getting it to turn on when you aren't there and turning off again.

I've bought this timer from screwfix to do just that, battery oiperated and works at under 120PSI and from 0c to 38c temperature.

Link here Programmable Digital Water Timer | Digital Water Timers | Screwfix.com and at 20 quid a bargain.
                          The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Can this be used on a water butt?
                            If you want to view paradise
                            Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Update!

As I plan to only grow outdoor variety Toms this year plus the fact my kites now have netted roofs, I decided to move the irrigation barrels into the Apricot'n'Peach Greenhouse. They're only feeding 5 trees so work like a dream, one barrel at each side of the door looped together at the back in the middle. Ignore the Brassicas as they were only moved today & are flagging a bit, gonna hopefully let them flower to attract bees.

Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X