Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice one BM! Fingers crossed for ya

Comment

Cheers AIC. At least now I have control over each dripper.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Sorted.........I didn't get on with the wine tap so instead fitted a grommet into which the tube fitted tightly.......I then put adjustable taps where the plants are to go..........it works like a dream..........I estimate the barrel to be around 50lts not 25 as I first thought.
        Attached Files
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
          Sorted.........I didn't get on with the wine tap so instead fitted a grommet into which the tube fitted tightly...[ATTACH=CONFIG]43390[/ATTACH]....I then put adjustable taps where the plants are to go.....[ATTACH=CONFIG]43391[/ATTACH].....it works like a dream..........I estimate the barrel to be around 50lts not 25 as I first thought.
          Was this simple in the bigmally want to have a go of one in my greenhouse at the allotment

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Hi Jake, it is pretty easy to make. the adapters are 4mm so you then have to make sure you buy 4mm tubing, then you have to work out how you are going to attach the tubing to the container. As I mentioned, I used a rubber grommet which gave a water tight seal. The downside to this is that it cannot be turned off at the barrel..........I'm working on that one, I'm looking at incorporating some kind of tap between the barrel & the first adaptor.

Comment

What about something like this BM to regulate/stop fluid flow on feed pipe ...........

Trident Tools 2 Metal Brake Hose Clamps
              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

You could always get the winemaking airlock rubber bungs......
                Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  The downside to this is that it cannot be turned off at the barrel..........I'm working on that one, I'm looking at incorporating some kind of tap between the barrel & the first adaptor.
                  Problem sorted, have just found these inline taps for 85p each...........

http://www.clevergreen.co.uk/shop/vc...97004247#thumb
                  Last edited by Bigmallly; 17-03-2014, 08:50 PM.

Comment

How much water do these soaker hoses use? given a head of say 4ft would 25metres of soaker last a day or a week? Is a timer essential? I have no idea but I am sure someone does. as all my greenhouse stuff is in pots I guess soaker hose is useless so the same question applies to drippers. I am just thinking of doing this but need to know a few basics.
                    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I'll put a fixed measurement in the barrel tomorrow Bill & will let you know how long it takes to empty. I currently have 7 drippers over a 4mt length.

Comment

With my soaker hose it depend totally on the weather, as if the soil is already quite wet it doesn't seep out as much. Drippers I would have thought would be more constant.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

That's interesting Alison, I didn't know soaker hoses did that, very clever. Yes the drippers would drip irrespective of soil conditions.

Comment

Just thought I would post a quick update for Bill:
                            I expected the Barrel to be empty this morning as I only put a couple of gallon in it. However it wasn't, so I guesstimate that over the last 24 hours, the system has used approx 1 gallon of water to activate 7 drippers at 1 drip per second, over a 4m length.

Comment

Please can you tell me where did you get your drippers Bm?

The ones I've found, so far, all show a flow rate of 4 lts/hr - much too fast! and they don't look adjustable either
                              Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 18-03-2014, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Thankyou for that BM, This means 15 drippers could keep going for a week using a 25 gallon tank. I know there are variables such as the pressure change as the level lowers in the tank but as long as it keeps the plants going if I was away a week it would suffice. To rely on it for a week would need very clean water to avoid blockages, that I suspect is where soaker hose has the advantage. I will be interested to find out if yours are reliable. It might turn out better to have two drippers per plant for safety.
                                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X