Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rita1
    replied
    i have an old vivarium with florescent light i could put all my seedling in there.

Leave a comment:

• Ladyslip
    replied
    Originally posted by chriswimmer View Post
    I'm setting up a deep water culture tub
    Show me yours n i'll show you mine we too are having a crash at a hydroponics system and a deep water culture experiment...hoping to increase the yields on produce and cut down on time spent watering/feeding

Leave a comment:

• Mudge
    replied
    The hottest its been under there is 23 degrees.
    The lights go off during the day now at 10am and come on again at 4pm.

Leave a comment:

• redser
    replied
    Originally posted by Mudge View Post
    Ive rigged up a grow light for my greenhouse.
    While the greenhouse itself is not heated, the light is over a heated bed.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]42703[/ATTACH]

With the additional of a small polly tunnel the temperature has never been lower than 12 degrees raises to around 22 during the day.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]42704[/ATTACH]

Im going to add an additional 4ft light this weekend.
    The light is going on at 5am and off at 8pm, with it also going off during the day.
    At the moment the bed contains lots of chillies, lettuce and tomatoes.
    Careful you don't get a dreaded nice day and fry them under that cover! I imagine with the bottom heat you would only need to cover them at night.

Leave a comment:

• Mudge
    replied
    Using ground heating cable and a thermometer to turn it off if it ever gets that hot.

Whole lot cost about £50, while the propergator I wanted was £150.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bill HH
    replied
    Good set up but you definately need an extra light, you can see the outer plants arent getting full light.How is the bed heated?

Leave a comment:

• Mudge
    replied
    Greenhouse Grow light

Ive rigged up a grow light for my greenhouse.
    While the greenhouse itself is not heated, the light is over a heated bed.

With the additional of a small polly tunnel the temperature has never been lower than 12 degrees raises to around 22 during the day.

Im going to add an additional 4ft light this weekend.
    The light is going on at 5am and off at 8pm, with it also going off during the day.
    At the moment the bed contains lots of chillies, lettuce and tomatoes.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• chriswimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
    Will look forward to that Chris we have very little regarding hydroponics/aquaponics here so if you have time to do a thread & show us as the project progresses & what you grow that would be great
    Definitely and thanks for the encouragement. I don't think I would have started a thread of my own since I'm new I built it yesterday and am waiting for some signs of life to sprout! But to stay on topic here's my little DIY lighting system. Still debating if and what type of reflector to put on top. I welcome thoughts.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bumberling Brian
    replied
    Jim
    Not sure on how you intend to use them , another problem is you have not said if your greenhouse is heated or not.
    Someone has said in here that you need to be able to maintain at least a 10* overnight temp or toms could bite the dust.
    I am far from being any expert as am new to gardening in general , but thought I would give this a try but also sow some at the traditional times as a back up

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy S
    replied
    Thanks Brian

I am at the same stage with seeds, although rather than a light box its to provide extra light in the greenhouse to bring on the chillies, peppers and tomatoes. I have seen on a chilli site similar set ups to what you suggest, I think I purchase a cuople of clips and bulbs and see how it goes.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Bumberling Brian
    replied
    Have used similar for a light box I have built , the bulbs are bright natural daylight low energy ones rated 30watt equivalent to 150 watt with a 6500kelvin output. Have not put anything into the box yet as have only started seeds off so cannot comment on how effective they will be

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy S
    replied

Having been intrigued also by this thread, I am wondering if it could be done with the attached.
    I am thinking a couple of these for the small lean-to greenhouse, light fitting about £3 and the bulb must be fluorescent?

Your thoughts welcome please.

Jimmy
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Kristen
    replied
    The more you give them the more they will grow I grew some Cannas from seed one Autumn under 18 hours per day of Metal Halide and they flowers after 8 weeks - just in time for XMas!

I'm not sure if they need a period of dark as I've read conflicting reports (that there are chemical processes that occur during the dark, and when photosynthesis has stopped), you may also have a problem with a crop such as Onions where the "bulb formation" is triggered by changes in day length, but other than that I would suggest that 18 hours is probably a sensible maximum, other than that its down to electricity cost, and how soon you can plant them out - Tomato plants started now, and given plenty of light, are going to be getting on for shoulder high?? by mid May ... if that's too tall give them 12 hours of light (or re-sow them in a few weeks time )

Leave a comment:

• chopper_j
    replied
    Hi, thanks

I think I will probably move the toms into the cellar with the MH which is a lot warmer than the lean to. What type of photo period would you recommend for the toms? The chillies, peppers and aubergines look quite happy in the aquarium for now

Leave a comment:

• Kristen
    replied
    Originally posted by chopper_j View Post
    I will probably move them into a lean to we have on the house with a halide and heater + heated prop.
    The halide will generate a fair bit of heat - you might not need the heater as well? particularly if you use the lamp overnight (when it is colder). I put a small plastic "greenhouse" inside my (unheated) conservatory, and my Metal Halide lamp in that, and it stays toasty warm

Or perhaps use the lamp in a garage or similar, and insulate a space for the lamp and plants? It can sometimes he easier to start with an insulated / warm room and provide light, rather than start with a greenhouse and try to make it warm! Particularly if we have a spring like 2013 - when the light levels were very poor, supplemental lighting can make a big difference in such poor light seasons.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X