No announcement yet.

Home Made Grow Lights

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Big Guy I have to say I'm impressed with the LED Portable Grow Station, I covered a row of the vending machine cups with cling film, and another with circles of flat plastic a couple of days ago to see if they made the germination any quicker, looked this morning and the poor little seedling were bending their heads on them and all but one plant has germinated, that means they have germinated in around six days and what you are seeing in the photo is a couple of days of growth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-16 Sprouts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	2371095

I've never seen such fast germination, or growth of sprouts, So now germinated do you think they will be alright in the unheated greenhouse and I can get something else cracking on in the Grow Station?
    Last edited by Cadalot; 16-02-2017, 07:52 AM.
    sigpic
    . .......Man Vs Slug
    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
    Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Nice one Al, I'm glad you like it. I assume they are Brassicas so I would top up the cups with compost & put them in the GH. You could put a large sheet of polythene over them if you think they need more warmth. Although I'm not sure you need the lights to germinate them.
      Last edited by Bigmallly; 16-02-2017, 08:29 AM.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Yep the plan was to top them up that's why I left the soil low, I thought it would help feed them a little later expecting 14-21 days until I saw signs of life, like it says on the pack. Next some Tomatoes & Peppers me thinks, as an experiment with the same put in my Ikea Mini Greenhouse behind the patio door for comparison on germination.
        sigpic
        . .......Man Vs Slug
        Nutters Club Member

Comment

• LED Workshop Light

I'm not sure what is available there, but here in the states our big box stores sell a LED light that is meant to be hung in your workshop. These lights also make very capable grow lights, especially if you use them in combo with other light(s). They are cheap to run, last many years with little loss of light output over time, and produce very little heat.

Comment

• Hi!

So I've found a corner at home for my diy growbox. Seems to average around 18c day and night.
            Looking at what bulbs I have. The growbox is scaly a 1ft square, maybe 15 inch high. I've found an energy saving bulb 6500k with 1450 lumens. Will that be enough? I have a few 2700k bulbs but with 6500k being daylight I'd say that would be better.

Is 1 enough? Will be able to adjust the height and keep close to the plants
            412% of statistics are made up.

Comment

• Is any heat coming from the bulb,can you get the seed tray about three inches away from the light so the seedlings don't have to stretch for light? It might help to see photos but it sounds good mic,the only way to find out is get sowing seeds & photos of seedlings when they appear,they might start off looking leggy but the light will stop that & thicken up the stem,you could try some seeds of something under the grow light & some seeds on a windowsill to see if there's a difference,when it's not sunny maybe?

Comment

• Ideally you want min two bulbs one from each end of the spectrum like I did in the shed above the freezer I used

Philips Tornado 42W E27 Edison Cool White Spiral Energy Saving Light Bulb
                Daylight 6500k Spiral SAD 42W Day Light E27 Low Energy Bulb Hydroponics Lamp
                sigpic
                . .......Man Vs Slug
                Nutters Club Member

Comment

• What about one of these led things?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/122529128952

Comment

• Mic - I bought the LED Panel they were just under £10 each off ebay as they were clearing stock see Alans Allotment: Grow Stations I've not seen them as cheap again otherwise I would buy another

Name:	LED 225 14W Grow Panel Red Blue Hydroponic Light Board Grow .jpg
Views:	3
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	2375136

Name:	LED Storage Box.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2375137

I ended up buying better clear plastic boxes and melting some hole in for ventilation and stacked them in my micro office. They were great for getting things going then they went out in the Grow House in the Shed with the two lamps. All in the link above
                    Last edited by Cadalot; 23-09-2017, 08:04 AM.
                    sigpic
                    . .......Man Vs Slug
                    Nutters Club Member

Comment

• I just use the one bulb it works really well,this is a photo from March 1st. Tomato variety balconi on the left,sowed in January & is such a small variety it could fit in the small space for months. The only problem is when they're too big for the space,is there going to be enough sunlight when they're moved out from the light.

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	2375141
                      Attached Files

Comment

• ordered the UFO type. need something now to grow in. i can fit something in the cupboard under the stairs but it wouldnt be very big. i read average height for LED to plant is between 18-24 inches. whatever item id use id have to modify.
                        if i want to go larger i can use the unheated summerhouse in the garden. i have a sheet of celotex which i could make a nice size grow box for a few plants, would be insulated great.

so, do i go small and indoors or larger and unheated?!

Comment

• Why would you use lights in a summer house

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Why would you use lights in a summer house
                            This is the issue. Small warm box inside or large insulated box in summerhouse.

Comment

• Lights are for light - not heat. You've lost me

Comment

• What's missing here?

2 options

Have light and heat indoors for 1-2 plants

Or

Have light and whatever temp the summerhouse is for 4 plants

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X