No announcement yet.

Home Made Grow Lights

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Redser! I have fluorescent light tubes in the workshed and I wondered about using those in some way - then, remembered a work light that lives in a dark cupboard.
    The closest I can find to it is
    Philex 19377R/S Inspection Lamps with Hanging Hook IP44 11W 5m | Screwfix.com but mine is 8w and the light tube is 25cms.
    Might be worth a try for me anyway!!

Comment

Worth a bash VC. Although I think 8w will be too low. I think mine are 60

Comment

On the subject of reflective materials, T3sco are selling 4mt foil wrapping paper for a squid......I'm so tempted.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I'm still thinking this through - could you use foil backed insulation boards to line a box - or plasterboard as that is matt white? I just may be able to find offcuts of these

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
            Worth a bash VC. Although I think 8w will be too low. I think mine are 60
            Yours are much bigger than mine, redser
            Trying to be serious now - would a longer tube need a higher wattage?

Comment

Very interesting thread as I was just looking into buying grow lights!
              Have you broke down the cost in making one if so can you post BM?
              if its viable i might have a bash at one too
              In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

Originally posted by darcyvuqua View Post
                Very interesting thread as I was just looking into buying grow lights!
                Have you broke down the cost in making one if so can you post BM?
                if its viable i might have a bash at one too
                From my OP Darcy, the tubes are £21, a 3m length of 32mm pipe, 2 elbows & 2 T's about £5, a couple of quid for a length of chain ......that's just a guesstimate. Obviously it can be as cheap or expensive as you wish.

£76 for this 4ft one:
                Google Image Result for http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/acatalog/rootit-grow-lights-system-large-4-feet-small.gif
                Last edited by Bigmallly; 04-01-2013, 12:37 PM.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Yours are much bigger than mine, redser
                  Trying to be serious now - would a longer tube need a higher wattage?
                  I honestly dont know VC. You could make up a really small box and try your light keeping it just above the seedlings. But as they grow I think it would definately not be strong enough.
                  As for lining the box, you could even use sheets of printer paper. I've taped A3 sheets on to windows behind plants to reflect the daylight back and it worked a treat. When you see white, you are seeing the full spectrum reflected so it's very simple but very effective.

Comment

Are you ready for this? The VC/BluePeter version of a Lightbox thingy!
                    Take one collapsible plastic crate, some spare mirror tiles and small mirrors from Freecycle, a plastic box and a worklight. Put them together and;-

Thought I would put a white cloth over the top, to reflect the light downwards. I started with a tinfoil ready meal dish but it didn't sit very well on the light.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Fair play to you that's great Just one warning, they will stretch for that light if it's too far away. If you can find a way to get them right up there they'll be happy. I dont know if your tube is cool running so just watch for any scorching just in case. They should be barely warm if they are cool whites. Defo worth a Blue Peter badge I reckon

Comment

Thanks The light has been on for a couple of hours and its just warm. I can raise the pots up to right under it by putting bits of wood or tiles under the pots. I'll start 2 pots of lettuce - put one under the light and the other on the window sill and see if it makes any difference

Comment

That's the way, I use books, some things grow faster than others.

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
                            That's the way, I use books, some things grow faster than others.
                            Nah, you'll never grow a book...........

Comment

I blame you for it all, BigM. If you hadn't started this off this morning, I wouldn't have spent the day scouring the house and shed for bits and pieces - I could have done something useful like hoovering instead

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                                Are you ready for this? The VC/BluePeter version of a Lightbox thingy!
                                Take one collapsible plastic crate, some spare mirror tiles and small mirrors from Freecycle, a plastic box and a worklight. Put them together ...
                                Thought I would put a white cloth over the top, to reflect the light downwards. I started with a tinfoil ready meal dish but it didn't sit very well on the light.
                                Will the wavelength of the light you are using make much difference?
                                To see a world in a grain of sand
                                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X