X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is lovely MissPea
    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would reinforce the door with a vertical stud on the edges where they abut when closed and add slide bolts top and bottom into a steel plate reinforced hole on one door and have 2 or 3 internal locks on the other door. replace one screw either side of each hinge with a dome head nut and bolt with the nuts inside so that someone cant just unscrew the doors. Adding a shelf at mid height between edge of the door and the side of the shed would allow storage and also stiffen up the supports to the doors against vandalism.
      sigpic
      . .......Man Vs Slug
      Click Here for my Diary and Blog
      Nutters Club Member

Comment

Would agree with a lot of Cadalot comments

The key thing about the doors is to prevent movement once doors closed. Bolts top and bottom and/or hasp securing both doors.

Does not look to be much clearance under the shed so may need battens to support it on bricks and give the air flow.

All best

Comment

So I seen a similar shed in b&q £190 so same as b&m as it’s £20 delivery in b&m is this better or the same as b&m as in does it look more stable? It’s taller to be fair but not sure on structure thanks!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
            I would reinforce the door with a vertical stud on the edges where they abut when closed and add slide bolts top and bottom into a steel plate reinforced hole on one door and have 2 or 3 internal locks on the other door. replace one screw either side of each hinge with a dome head nut and bolt with the nuts inside so that someone cant just unscrew the doors. Adding a shelf at mid height between edge of the door and the side of the shed would allow storage and also stiffen up the supports to the doors against vandalism.
            Thanks cadalot, this will be really useful when building it. It’s help like this I need I’m really clueless when it comes to things like this

Comment

Essentially it will be swings and roundabouts. Similar in construction materials but I think the hardware / metalwork on B&Q shed will all need to be replaced. Looks a bit flimsy - butt hinges and just 2 per door?

The B&M has 3 x T hinges per door so looks to be better.

Shed B&M B&Q
              Doors Needs Strengthened Looks OK
              Hinges OK Replace
              Locks Replace Replace
              Floor Raise off Ground Raise Off Ground

May need batten to front of floor to secure lower bolts/lock

NB. B&M was on a pallet, so may be a bit rocky because of that.

Comment

Thank you very much 4shoes very helpful. to be honest it was rocky, but I thought it was the pallet. also the door on the b&q one was quite flimsy feeling and wouldnt shut properly, I Put it down to the shed being there for a long time but come to think of it I would hope it wasn't the reason! so the hinges most definitely need replaced.

Comment

As per cadalot, I think the critical thing either way is the double doors. (do you really need them? They do make it significantly less secure)

If you go with either, I'd put strengthening above and below, and have bolts in one door that go into the top and the bottom. That will make it much harder for it to be forced open as there is always a bit of give in a lock and hasp that can be exploited. Also, it will mean the door will add to structural strength against wind etc.

You can also get hinge bolts that you screw into the door at the hinge end, that then go into a recess in the wall (You'll need to do it where there are battens) - these mean that a would-be thief can't simply undo the hinges and take the door off that way.

One other thought - if you are not the tallest, you might be able to put some battens across at roof level to give you a "loft" rack, which is good for long bulky light things (eg netting).
                  Don't forget the cupboard for gin!! :-)

Comment

I'd be cheeky and go into B&Q and tell them the doors are flimsy and that you want more hinges to be thrown in free of charge. As well as bolts to secure the doors. They are remarkably keen to make sure their customers are happy. It's worth a try!
                    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

As Bikermike says, a single door would make it easier to secure. May also allow you to turn shed and build "lean-to" / Cold frame etc.

Re Loft Rack - I had my shed on Blocks - allowing the storage of timber under it whilst retaining air circulation.

Comment

annoyingly, that it a good idea, but my dad has just put down the slabs now and I offered the rest to my neighbour. I'll see if there are still some left and I can add more if not, itll have to be the double door. to be fair they're not stuck down, just placed down on top of soil but it looks good and I don't think i can be bothered to move them all about, although I did see a shed with a window in B&Q at the side so could have the shed door facing west (would that look silly?)
                        https://www.diy.com/departments/6x4-...1293078_BQ.prd
                        Last edited by MissPea; 30-10-2018, 11:22 AM. Reason: add link

Comment

https://groups.freecycle.org/group/E...rden%20Shed%20

Saw this free shed in Linlithgow, and thought of you MissPea.
                          He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by MissPea View Post
                            annoyingly, that it a good idea, but my dad has just put down the slabs now and I offered the rest to my neighbour. I'll see if there are still some left and I can add more if not, itll have to be the double door. to be fair they're not stuck down, just placed down on top of soil but it looks good and I don't think i can be bothered to move them all about, although I did see a shed with a window in B&Q at the side so could have the shed door facing west (would that look silly?)
                            https://www.diy.com/departments/6x4-...1293078_BQ.prd
                            That’s the shed I posted a week ago on this thread,it has good reviews,why would a door facing west look silly?

Comment

I live in Glasgow, or I would hire a van, just too far away thanks anyway!

Comment

I dont even know how I missed that post, I'm sorry! that probable could have helped if i actually seen it lol. i have no idea just thought would be best for the door to face the front of the allotment but it doesnt actually matter i suppose.
                                thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X