No announcement yet.

Shed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say somewhere sit if it pours too, I got caught in torrential rain, and had my blowaway to hide in until it passed, but it sadly blew away later that day haha!

Comment

Maybe not the Sentry box then 'cos passers by would think it was a toilet you were sitting on.

Comment

I love a good shed (I must do, the amount of darned time I've spent on mine...)

no shed lasts forever.

A couple of points
        I'd look at a plastic shed base - the important thing is to keep it off the ground with as much of an air gap as possible, to stop the wood getting damp.

With regards to a double-doored shed, my concern is that the side with a double door then has very little support for it's length and will be less inherently strong than a single door.

Whatever you get, the best way to make it last as long as possible is to keep it's feet and head dry, as they will be the bits that get damp. So base as per above and keeping an eye on the roof. I'd also try to give as much of the wood as you can an extra coating of wood preservative before you build it - especially end-grain and the bits that get covered up.

Don't forget a lock on the door. I always aim for something that looks solid close-up (to deter thieves), but not too visible from a distance (you don't want people to think there is something of interest in your shed).

you could leave it empty and see how long it takes to accumulate rusty bicycles and old tools out of thin air...

Comment

This sheds £170 & got 4 star review,you can definitely stand inside it & there’s a window so you could put a shelf next to that for seed trays & handy to look out of.
          https://www.diy.com/departments/6x4-...1293078_BQ.prd

I still wonder about the height of the B & M shed (& quality/strength as there’s no reviews it’s difficult to know) the way it says double doors for easy access,like you can’t just walk inside,there’s a customer care phone line they should know the height.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Oh No it isn't!!
            The doors do not open for a few more weeks ,or has Nicos given you the key .
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I've built my sheds out of scrap lumber and home saved stones, etc mostly - don't think it has saved me much money but they have lasted well - my oldest corrugated iron construction is about 35 years old now.

Comment

I have been rethinking the need for 1 again,i like the pent roof with a door and window on the 6ft width,so you enter the door turn to the right,and put a bench for a seat and under storage on the 4ft end,near the window,then errect a lean2 in front of said window and door,to form a patio area for an outdoor table,i already have the makings,it will be just enough for what we need,every little plot needs a shed of some sort or it feels naked,as for price they are that we bit more,but offer a better facility,at the end of the day,it comes down to what you can afford,the good thing about this forum is,everyones experiance benefits another,
                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Maybe not the Sentry box then 'cos passers by would think it was a toilet you were sitting on.
                  I thought that was an advantage. If it were mine, I'd add a vacant/occupied sign. That way, nobody would think there was anything worth nicking inside.

Comment

Many modern sheds are built to a price. Nothing wrong with that, but a good kicking and any nerdowell is in and your prized stainless tools are out. If you have a few pallet planks think about additional bracing and the means to hold it down.
                    It's a sad indictment of our society that some scum bag will try it on. Having a tougher more robust shed and locks will be a deterent to many, but armed with tools from another shed they could well break into even that. The basics about protecting all the hidden timbers before construction and having it raised off the damp dirt is all good. Every 4-5 years another coat of preservative too, the modern water based colours offer little protection, oil based may be a bit more boring but it will last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
                      I love a good shed (I must do, the amount of darned time I've spent on mine...)

no shed lasts forever.

A couple of points
                      I'd look at a plastic shed base - the important thing is to keep it off the ground with as much of an air gap as possible, to stop the wood getting damp.
                      I have slabs I got for free, do you think these will do or is it better investing in the plastic base.

Comment

Free is always good...

the important thing is to allow an airgap. The advantage of the plastic base is that it does all the bits, it's a ground cover to stop grass growing underneath and/or things burrowing easily, and it has frequent supports for the shed with air gaps.

My shed is flat on slabs and the base is getting soft. At some point I'm going to have to either throw the shed away or re-base it. When I do, I will put the repaired/replaced shed on some risers of some sort on top of the slabs to allow air to circulate. This may be as simple as another slab at each corner on top of the current slabs so the shed sits on those corner slabs and so off the ground.

Comment

Most sheds have battens under the floor. Put a brick each end and then every 2 to 3 feet between these.

Best if you can prevent splashing up onto/under the shed
                          Last edited by 4Shoes; 26-10-2018, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Agree with all about the base. Huge shed in our new garden had a totally rotten base because it was sitting straight onto slabs. Some walls were rotten too from roof run off. It was only about 12 years old, must have cost a fortune (garage-sized) but didn't last because it was badly built. OH has salvaged the front, back and enough wall to to rebuild a quarter of the size. It now has guttering to the water butt, repainted and sits on battens made from part of the roof, and we're hoping for at least another ten years out of it.
                            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

I try never to build with wood at ground level, if I can avoid it - always put in at least one course of blocks or bricks above the soil level then wood on that - alternatively I use metal poles to go in to the ground, then the wood structure attached to them.

Comment

So I went for a visit to see this shed. I’ve took a few pics.. what do you think? I can stand in it 😂 but I could probably stand in a bike shed 🤭
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X