Here's the garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's the garlic

Since the onion harvest was so well received I thought I'd show you the garlic. Looks a bit small now as it is properly dried ready for storing.

I should add that the strings were tight when I first hung it.

Phreddy
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Phreddy; 06-07-2007, 12:36 PM.

Wow! I am so jealous, ours by comparison is laughable. We were very disappointed this year, especially as we spent a fair bit on it. Won't be doing that again. Back to basics next year.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Wow! is all I can say .... and here's to next year when I'm seriously going to try to emulate you - ROFL at that idea haah!
      Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Where are you growing these garlic?
        "I got a business card, 'cause I want to win some lunches. That's what my business card says: "Mitch Hedberg, potential lunch winner."
        Gift ideas... fruit baskets or gardening kit?

Comment

I'm seriously impressed Phreddy. My garlic isn't bad this year but there's not much of it. I planted some the year before which was PATHETIC. I hoiked out the bulbs which were still small and hadn't split and we used them but it was pretty poor. However, I obviously missed some (that's how small they were!) and these grew again this year. The result is a slightly patchy bed with a dozen or so really good garlics. I think I'll have another go with autumn planted. I've usually put them in in Spring. the extra time in the ground seemed to do the trick. Wish I had as many as you have! Well done.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Goodness me!! Do you like garlic? Please post some tips and the type of garlic so that I can give it a good go this year. Definately have to try to grow garlic and onions over next winter as I use loads of each and would love to save the money I give to the supermarket!!
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Gosh, what a wonderful crop! well done! Bernie
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Brilliant crop Phreddy. I don't have so many as I grew them in a container but I'm pleased with the result. The variety is music from the Scottish grower in Nairn, planted in November. I have some March sown which I haven't lifted yet, but I've had a poke down there and it looks very hopeful.

Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I am in Bulgaria. Bought garlic from the market. There are no varieties here, it is just garlic. I'd like to try some varieties maybe I'll buy some in Sainsbury just before I leave UK to come here for the summer.
                  I wanted it planted over winter but was advised not. Onions yes. garlic no!

Phreddy

Comment

The garlic looks great I'm going to have a try at garlic I love the stuff and use soo much!

Comment

Alice, you're garlic look great. I might put mine in containers next year instead of the open ground. Am impressed with the size.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Mine do not stand well over winter. The October plants look awful still. But those I planted in March from my own stock are looking pretty good, both in the tunnel and outside. The outside ones are always smaller, but a better taste.
                        ~
                        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Well done you guys!
                          Only 4 of my 54 have survived the damp, and they are in a pretty poor state.
                          Think I'll go and have a weep....
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Never grown garlic but want to plant some in late summer this year,

I use a lot of garlic but am lazy so use a lot of of lazy garlic that is ready to use in the jar. My question is...........if I grew my own garlic and it was a success would I be able to preserve some myself like the lazy garlic or would I have to crush it as I needed it?

Comment

What is lazy garlic?
                              If you could do it you would need to put all the effort in so it wouldn't be lazy at all.
                              For myself, I am always prepared to take a bulb and peel the papery layers from a clove to reveal the gleaming white flesh and smash it with a knife. It is part of garlic's appeal.

Phreddy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X