Whats in Your Vase?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alice View Post
    At this time I cut mostly roses for the vase.
    The very pale ones we call Aunt Marion - it came from my mother in laws Aunt.
    The darker pink one is Zepherin Drouhin - grows on a north facing wall where it never sees the sun.
    The peachy one - not shown to its best advantage here - is Buff Beauty. A truly gorgeous rose.
    My best rose - Morning Jewel - did its best in May, and wouldn't show it at less than its best. But truly spectacular at its best. It will come again.
    And fill my vases.
    [ATTACH]2550[/ATTACH]
    Don't know about the others but I bet the Zepherine fills the room with a wonderful scent
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

This week's inhabitants of the Vase of Delights (floral equivalent of Smug Trug!) are alchemilla, ox-eye daisy, feverfew, greater burnet, purple toadflax, a few masterwort and a big umbellifer which is actually a carrot - snipped from under the bird feeder! A little of what you fancy ...!
      Attached Files
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thank you for sharing your lovely flowers Alice and Flummery - they have brightened up my day! Bernie
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

You're right Snadger, beautifully scented. The Buff Beauty smells gorgeous too. It's a big shrub and the scent fills the garden when the air is still. They have all spent their lives standing in the rain this year with no significant damage to the flowers so good weather resistance too.
          Nice arrangement Flummery. Thank you. I think flowers from the garden look so much more interesting than flowers from the florist which tend to be always the same things.
          Anybody else want to let us see what's in their vase ?

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I prefer my flowers in the garden as they last so much longer and whilst I like frest flowers I always think they look really sad when they die! Added to this, OH has really bad hayfever so we don't have flowers much. Mind you, I try to put attractive plants near the kitchen window so that I can see them in the garden when I'm doing the washing up.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I like a few garden flowers in the house - many tend to put fresh growth out if you pick so they keep coming. I really don't like to buy cut flowers because many are flown in or grown here in heated glass houses and I resent the carbon footprint they have. My Ma, who I think deliberately misunderstands me, always comes in and says 'I thought you didn't like cut flowers!' She bought me an absolutley ghastly pot plant the other week 'instead of cut flowers' which looks like the middle leaves have gone septic! I'm trying to kill it by not watering but it's a toughie!

Just realised my flowers are very like Jennie's - we grow the same stuff obviously!
              Last edited by Flummery; 04-07-2007, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Sweet Peas, a really pretty variegated lamium and some kind of vetch (soft green divided leaves and small dark pink flowers) and then I have added the seed heads from the self seeded field poppies - they might be pretty but I don't want this many next year so the seed heads are getting daily culling!

Having only moved to this garden this year it has been fascinating to see what has appeared - the sweet peas were the only thing in this posy that I had planted and I grew them specifically to cut whilst they provide a quick coverage on the boundary until the clematis and passion flower get established.
                Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, couldn't resist! Bernie
                  Attached Files
                  Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

L-o-v-e-r-l-y Bernie! Here's one I started earlier ?
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      Its Feverfew Two Sheds !
                      Nah. S'not. I grow feverfew, but this plant is at least twice the height and spread, and the flowers are all white, not with a yellow centre.

I have eaten feverfew for headache...its got to be the bitterest thing I ever tasted...never again
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Nice one CMS and welcome to the Vine.
                        DDL - that just had to be you !
                        Two sheds , the pics not very clear, but if it smells awful it's probably some kind of Marguerite. I can't stand the smell of them either.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Lovely selection CMS - another Scottish collection!
                          ~
                          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Later I will have a few dahlias from the front garden and some green stuff from the back to set them off. I don't have much cuttable - only started planting pretty flowers last summer.
                            You are a child of the universe,
                            no less than the trees and the stars;
                            you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                              Sorry, couldn't resist! Bernie [ATTACH]2558[/ATTACH]
                              You old wind-up merchant you!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                                Nah. S'not. I grow feverfew, but this plant is at least twice the height and spread, and the flowers are all white, not with a yellow centre.

I have eaten feverfew for headache...its got to be the bitterest thing I ever tasted...never again
                                I think it's the double one Two Sheds. Mine is like that and it IS a kind of feverfew. Honest.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X