Whats in Your Vase?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats in Your Vase?

I can't grow any spectacular flowers for cutting, so most of my cut flowers come from any hardy plant that will survive. My vases around the house tend to look as though they have a large collection of wild flowers in them. This is the usual at this time of the year:

Shrub Honeysuckle, white daisies, alchemilla mollis, Shetland Blue Bonnets (geranium) and ragged cornflower.

It would be really interesting to know what you all grow for cutting.
    Attached Files
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

What a beautiful bouquet, Jennie!

Speaking with my zero level knowledge, I still bet that with your greenhouse you have lots of flowers that you could grow.... my mum grows daylilies in a pot which you could grow in the polytunnel, and won't chrysanths flourish for you........ Where's NTG when you need him??

Having only just cottoned on to growing veg, I'm not geared up for flowers at all this year, but in an effort to shake off my 'if you can't eat it, I'm not growing it' attitude, I've just bought some cut price sunflower seeds which I would have direct sown this evening if it had been dry, and some sweetpeas which will have to wait until next year, I think!

Comment

what's this?

I've been cutting this...don't know what it is, I never planted it! Someone told me Roman or German chamomile, but I don't think so. Looks like a small-flowered Chrysanth, smells horrible.
      Attached Files
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

just found some more pix of my cutting flowers: black cornflower, opium poppy (actually that doesn't cut), sweet william, calendula, white foxgloves. All of them self-seeded every year
        Attached Files
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          I've been cutting this...don't know what it is, I never planted it! Someone told me Roman or German chamomile, but I don't think so. Looks like a small-flowered Chrysanth, smells horrible.
          Its Feverfew Two Sheds !

It is related to the chrysanthemum. Good for migraine sufferers....stick a few leaves in sandwich each day and it's claimed to knock back even the worst migraines!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I don't have a pic but currently in a vase I have Sweet Peas (from the lottie), scented roses, calendula and pink carnations from my front garden. I LOVE scented flowers and I'm currently working my way through the scented roses stocked at Focus, get another every month or so! Also got candytuft doing well and earmarked for the next cutting.
            Kirsty b xx

Comment

love your vase jennie,
              i got some sent from work, roses and rosemary quite pretty by my bed.
              otherwise its roses, (not my favorites but we have 3 rose bushes in the garden)combined with whatever i can find.
              Yo an' Bob
              Walk lightly on the earth
              take only what you need
              give all you can
              and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Lovely arrangement in the vase Jennie.
                At this time my cut flowers are a mixture of roses and philadelphus.
                Will post a pic.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments - really interested in hearing what others grow.

My sweet peas are only about four inches high at the moment (the plants not the flowers!) and I don't have much luck with roses other than Rosa Rugos which are lovely in teh garden but don't cut well. And Red Hot Pokers don't look too good in a vase!

Two Sheds - can you cut floxgloves for putting in a vase?
                  ~
                  Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Roses, Sweet William, Carnations and Pinks and Dahlias, which are coming into flower now. Also any greenery thats in the garden to fill the whole arrangement out. I have lots of scented Lilys but can't bring myself to cut them.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      Looks like double feverfew Two Sheds. It does smell vile but looks lovely - I put it with alchemilla and a bit of dark purple toadflax for a lovely fresh looking bunch. It's supposed to be good for headaches - curing them that it - and people sometimes put a leaf on a sandwich. As the name suggests, it's supposed to get rid of a fever. Never eaten it though, I have to say.

Whoops - got further down and realised Snadger has told you all this (and more succinctly!)
                      Last edited by Flummery; 03-07-2007, 08:05 AM. Reason: To add the whoops!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Love your vase Jennie. I just about manage roses (love the scent), sweet peas, and some huge purple lavendar that I inherited and looks good with my white rose! I did have lupins but they're just about over now, as is my mock orange.
                        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Lovely flowers Jennie! My sweet peas are just starting to flower down on the lottie - I'm aiming to call first thing in a morning so I can cut some and put them in my vase at work! The way the weather is going, it's going to be next week before they start blooming properly! Bernie
                          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

At this time I cut mostly roses for the vase.
                            The very pale ones we call Aunt Marion - it came from my mother in laws Aunt.
                            The darker pink one is Zepherin Drouhin - grows on a north facing wall where it never sees the sun.
                            The peachy one - not shown to its best advantage here - is Buff Beauty. A truly gorgeous rose.
                            My best rose - Morning Jewel - did its best in May, and wouldn't show it at less than its best. But truly spectacular at its best. It will come again.
                            And fill my vases.
                            Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Lovely flowers everyone!

I don't have any pictures right now but I have some sweet peas in my flower vase. I'm not really a flower guy, I much prefer my veg!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X