Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays Pickings

Hello Grapes
    I am told by NIC PIPPIN that some of you out there like to show the rest of us your "PICKINGS" for the day. So here goes

Peas 1 lb
    Carrots 1.50 lb
    Strawberries 3/4 lb
    Summer Raspberries 1 lb

I hope these are ok and you enjoying looking at these pics. I am going to enjoy eating them tonight )

Happy Gardening
    Attached Files

Gee whiz Gardening Angel. Great pickings indeed. Can you come back and tell poor mortals how to do it. Enjoy your crops.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Super! Well done! Isn't it a fantastic feeling? Bernie
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Thank you Alice & DD
        I've been gardening for many, many years now and have always enjoyed my time in the garden or on the allotment. I have had my allotment for around 10 years so things get easier the longer you have them. I have a happy helper - NIC PIPPIN, who comes along and helps when she can but I am fortunate and do not work so can spend my time on the lottie. We are organic - lots of horse manure etc. Yes you are so right DD it still is a great feeling even after all these years. Happy Gardening

Comment

Haven't been to the lottie as late leaving work, but from the back garden mixed salad leaves, raspberries and strawberries (munched on the go, didn't even make it to the kitchen)

Comment

Thats why I love having a certain amount of fruit and veg at home. I love cooking in the kitchen and then just popping outside and picking some salad leaves, herbs or strawberries then straight back to the kitchen. I really enjoy growing my tomato's and courgette's at home. I like watching them grow at close range and I know i'll be at home every day unlike the lottie ) I'm just like you Rustylady - peas from the lottie usually have to have a taste test before they are taken home )

Comment

Well done GA - what a great harvest. I'm still just harvesting bits and pieces and like RustyLady they often don't make it out of the polytunnel.
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I'm quite proud of today's lunch and they tasted pretty good too.
                I thought others might be interested?
                Caroline
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CarolineSonning View Post
                  I'm quite proud of today's lunch and they tasted pretty good too.
                  I thought others might be interested?
                  Caroline
                  Am most interested to know how you grew the wine bottle? Will definitely be trying them next year.................

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

That was OH trying to be artistic and give you a sense of scale.

Maybe I should get him to concentrate his efforts elsewhere .

Comment

Caroline the artichokes look fantastic. Are they an acquired taste? or easy to cook and eat. Always fancied trying to grow them, but don't they grow rather tall? (Sorry lots of questions!)
                      ~
                      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Yesterday from the allotment dug new potatoes (Arran Pilot - lovely), broad beans (Sutton), mangetout peas and the one and a half courgettes the slugs and snails had left me, plus gooseberries which I don't really like but they were there - I think the bushes are coming out this year. Raspberries and strawberries from the garden, still not making it as far as the kitchen.

Comment

Today picked broad beans, raspberries, red currants, strawberries and a lettuce. Oh yes and a few bits of herbs. Not a bad day.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

2 types of courgette, bored beans, mange tout, 2 peppers, a chilli and raspberries were harvested and eaten last night!
                            Blessings
                            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                              Caroline the artichokes look fantastic. Are they an acquired taste? or easy to cook and eat. Always fancied trying to grow them, but don't they grow rather tall? (Sorry lots of questions!)
                              Not sue if they are an acquired taste or not as I have very fond memories of eating them with my Grandpa when I was little so they have always been around - it was just rather special to pick and eat my own!

They are very easy to cook and eat - just soak in cold water for around 20mins (upside down) trying to get all the creepy crawlies out , then stand in a large pan of boiling water (right lay up with water 3/4 way up) and boil/steam them for 40 to 45 mins. When a leaf pulls out easily they are good to go.

Eat with melted butter by pulling the leaves and dipping in the butter then just scraping the flesh off with your teeth. When you get to the hairy choke, remove it with a knife then eat the heart dipped in butter with a knife and fork delish.

You do kind of end up with a fuller plate when you have finish - but that's half the fun .

As far as tall goes - mine are all taller than me this year and some are holding up the netting on the cage (so a good 6 foot!).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X