Just had to show you all...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just had to show you all...

... this is one of the varieties of tomato in the packet of Unwins Heritage collection along with the banana cream - which incidentily are just starting to ripen

But this one I have been watching grow and waiting for it to ripen.

It's Vintage Wine variety - and as you can see weighed 350gm, was the biggest tomato I've ever grown and tasted delicious with a little basil pesto and mozzarrela cheese.
    Attached Files

Well done, SMS6 you must be very proud.

I don't know how you could eat it though, if it was mine I would have just kept it in the freezer and taken it out and admired it every now and then
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

it looks massive!!

I actually thought it was a pumpkin before I read the post

Might have to have a go at those next year, they look fantastic! Well done SMS6
      "Nothing contrary to one's genius"

http://chrissieslottie.blogspot.com/

Comment

That would certainly feed my tomato habit for a day or so!

KK
        Last edited by scared55; 23-09-2007, 12:27 PM.

Comment

WOW !!!

I thought you'd posted photos of a pumpkin at first!!!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I had a parsnip this week 12" long & just over 1lb.
            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
            Brian Clough

Comment

Now that is impressive SMS6. You must be very proud. How was the rest of your tomato crops. I think most of us had a pretty mediocre year.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Good effort! Certainly beats my attempts!
                A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Another one here who thought it was a pumpkin, its huge. Congrats

Just wondering if the fruit's that large then what size is the plant that it grows on?

I've got this image of 'Jack and the Beanstalk' in my head
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

WoW have you saved the seeds ?
                    Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
                    Dobby

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                      Another one here who thought it was a pumpkin, its huge. Congrats

Just wondering if the fruit's that large then what size is the plant that it grows on?

I've got this image of 'Jack and the Beanstalk' in my head
                      Nope the plant is pretty normal tomato size, fits in the green house no problem. I have been pinching out the top though.

This particular fruit was all by itself quite low down on the plant and we thought we were only going to get the one, but there are now a few small trusses nearer the top and the fruits are swelling nicely, it remains to be seen if there will be enough sun to ripen them though. I have a feeling they won't get as large.
                      Last edited by SMS6; 24-09-2007, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                        Now that is impressive SMS6. You must be very proud. How was the rest of your tomato crops. I think most of us had a pretty mediocre year.

Garden Pearl and Gardeners Delight were slow to get going but haven't given too bad a yield now that we've had a little sun. I think I've got four lots of sauce in the freezer now.

Banana Cream - only have one plant but it's had/got about 20 toms on - very slow to turn yellow though and the toms seem to lose quality quite quickly once they do. First time I've grown these so will try again next year before making final judgment.

Lemon Tree is absoluetly laden with huge trusses of fruit but shows no sign of colouring up yet. Hopefully I'll get some ripe fruits to see what they are like - first time for these too.

Above all in greenhouse.

The one's outside (but in plastic cold frame) - spare plants of lemon tree, vintage wine are being very slow to fruit. Tropical Ruby and Christmas Grape likewise but the CG is now colouring up since I zipped up the front of the cold frame

Comment

Originally posted by Dobby View Post
                          WoW have you saved the seeds ?
                          The original packet had 10 and I only used a few so still have some to try next year. I hope they'll still be viable.

The one we ate, was very fleshy and didn't have many seeds plus I didn't think to keep any but if I get nay more to mature I'll try and remember to do so and will certainly do so next year when I plant the last few bought seeds.

I'm only just learning about harvesting own seeds, of anything, up to now I've always bought new ones.

Comment

That's a fantastic tom SMS6. It looks really tasty too.
                            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X