Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This year I will be mostly proud of.....

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
    Brunswick is sweeter and juicier/moister than Brown Turkey. However the fruits are smaller and still ooze the milky latex stuff when picked so you can't use the whole fruit. I think somewhere down the line a may add another variety of fig. My Brunswick fig established and fruited several years quicker than Brown Turkey, no idea if this is normal. I can always send you cuttings back from each with your circle stuff if you would like.
    Wow, that would be awfully kind of you. I just need to get all my seeds to set properly for the circle!

Comment

i'm going to call these beauties - Mini Atomic Toms. Small in size but huge in taste. Size compared to a teaspoon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	2380381

Really pleased with my Butter Bush. I only had one plant grown from seed (Ta Moreveg) but these are the first ones I've just picked. I've left another 2 on the plant.

Name:	IMG_0293.JPG
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	2380382
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I am certainly proud of this year, but not of a particular plant or harvest. I am insanely proud of my work in the garden. I started the year with a muddy mess that my new puppy kept ruining, raspberries that got eaten down to the ground by said puppy and it was, other than the greenhouse and the patio, a complete mess.
        This year I have... built a brick wall to contain the 'in the ground' growing area, set out a temporary raised beds in ikea bags, organised a storage area in the kitchen alley, embraced flowers, which previously were not invited unless they were edible. I have in addition to that, laid a new path, sowed, grown and harvested more fruit and veg ever before.
        So yes, I'm proud of my achievements this year. And now I'm ironically planning a house move, so I can have a bigger garden haha
        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

so far

Its this big max pumpkin

Name:	IMG_20180823_082459-1752x3120.jpg
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	2380386

Its sister rotted and im scared this will go the same way so should i pick it now ?. Its the only one i have and really want to show off to the grandkides .
          The bag is a builders sand bag and its width is hight and a half, its a beaut.
          Last edited by jackarmy; 28-08-2018, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by farendwoman View Post
            Likewise Scarlet.
            My courgettes have been rubbish.
            Just don’t understand it. My short daily drive to get a newspaper have loads of houses with big piles of courgettes/marrows outside with signs saying “Help yourself”.
            What have I done wrong? Have watered them religiously so can’t be lack of water.
            My courgettes this year have been amazing, literally chucking them out with hardly any xtra watering, i know but im not bragging , honest . Maybe something to do with the heavy clay sub soil ?

Comment

I'm proud I can share with others.

Here you go Scarlet

Name:	cucs.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	2380397Click image for larger version

Name:	courgette & Marrows.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	2380398

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

well, my blackberries were pretty good (I think, small blond person ate most of them). And they were free.

round carrots were good if not very big. Mangetoute were good.

Most things have been a bit rubbish though.
                Best bit - small person (OK, I didn't plant him this year, but still) said he didn't want to go to the allotment "but next year daddy, we can go and plant things"...

Comment

Dish made with own produce

Beetroot burgers, roast peppers, stuffed peppers, oven roast aubergines with garlic and chilli, lettuce and cucumber.

Name:	Beetroot-burgers.jpg
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	2380454
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

how you do the b root burgers please.
                    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
                      how you do the b root burgers please.
                      Here it is LD. I've posted as link to our allotment web site where I've typed it up in full, it's on a pop-out page so you can download if needed. The recipe's very forgiving and seems to work with all sorts of ingredients thrown in.

https://sites.google.com/view/robinh.../cooks-kitchen
                      Last edited by Mr Bones; 01-09-2018, 12:19 PM.
                      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I wasn't going to say, as I didn't want to jinx them having got them at the end of the season but look.....

Name:	DSCF5560 (3).jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	2380520

.... this was yesterday when they were coming home. I have had them just over a month and despite the wasps, hornets and ants they aren't doing bad.

Comment

This is a LOVELY thread.

I've just realised I've been reading it while eating a lunch of chilli with my own beans and onions, a home grown jacket tattie and some tomatoes from my back yard.

Happiness squared.

Comment

Name:	4577DB5D-FFF3-4B0F-AE03-5BF4E131111B.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	2380536
                            Lemon Verbena Gin, lavender gin, rhubarb gin are all yummy.
                            Just started crab apple gin Have yet to start on blackberry gin - off harvesting this evening.
                            Trying small quantities of each to see how they taste, but will definitely be doing lemon verbena, lavender and rhubarb again.
                            I inherited a fair few bottles of gin from my beloved mother, and as no one likes the taste of gin in this house, decided to try a few recipes. All so far have been excellent.
                            Cheers Mum!!

Comment

Name:	A8E1978E-64A9-4415-ADDB-8AAD90F20350.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	2380538
                              Trying again

Comment

The best part is you can use the cheapest gin and it makes no difference. I've made sloe, blackberry and damson. 8oz fruit, 3oz sugar, 1 bottle. I like a bit of bite so not much sugar.
                                Cheers!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X