Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This year I will be mostly proud of.....

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to mention the cherries
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cherries.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	2380308

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Worst year I’ve ever had for courgettes, they have rotted at the end. I’ve picked hardly any. I was thankful that I planted a stray one in the GH ( :eek yes I know ) but the GH gets watered so I’ve had a great crop from that one - shame I have to scale the plant to access other things!!

Worst year for any outdoor growing really for me ....drought has killed off lots of stuff
      Likewise Scarlet.
      My courgettes have been rubbish.
      Just don’t understand it. My short daily drive to get a newspaper have loads of houses with big piles of courgettes/marrows outside with signs saying “Help yourself”.
      What have I done wrong? Have watered them religiously so can’t be lack of water.

Comment

I’m most proud of everything,not because I’m a show off,but because it’s my first year on my allotment
        Here are some of my cherry tomatoesClick image for larger version

Name:	63BEE81A-499F-4381-8F16-3A9BE5625804.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	2380314
        Last edited by chillithyme; 24-08-2018, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Now Now Peeps - this is the PROUD, thread not the rant thread.

Think Happy Thoughts.
          Think Happy Thoughts.
          Think Happy Thoughts.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

3 blooms

You can pick which ever 3 you like.

Name:	DSCF5463.jpg
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	2380318

Comment

Best Failure

Cut flower paddock (for selling). What a stoopid year to start that venture.

Name:	DSCF5449.jpg
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	2380319

Comment

Prettiest hen

Not sure about pretty but they are cute. Just hope they are both hens. A lemon pekin and a porcelain pekin, not yet named. This years additions after given some odd hatching eggs. I didn't have the heart to tell my Norfolkgrey the fluffiest bum comp. end a couple of years ago.

Name:	DSCF5446.jpg
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	2380320

Comment

Dish with own produce

I grew the cobs last year (tried 3 varieties as have always struggled with strawberry popcorn). Struggled to pop them. Found some odd cobs this year in a tidy up and they popped really well and were really yummy. Variety - Dakota Black

Name:	DSCF4984.jpg
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	2380323

Comment

Selection of fruit - single variety.

Outside grown - not in full sun - no protection or faffing from me. My best garden achievement this year. Tree has only been in 2 or 3 years.

Peach - Avalons Pride

Name:	DSCF5450 (2).jpg
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	2380324 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5453 (2).jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	2380325 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5454 (2).jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	2380326

Comment

I am just proud that i am getting my new grow area into better shape for next year,also what has grown is all well,the chickens love the chard so not been buying and greens for them,the roma toms outside are doing really well,have frozen the red one's whole for now,if you can be happy with what you done then all is well.
                      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Selection of fruit

Have to love fruit trees and bushes, they still give even when you do nothing. I have lost a lot to maggot, wasp, birds, hornets and then quite a bit was aborted from the long dry spell. However there has still been more than enough for me to salvage if only for using in preserves. Currants, goosegogs and rhubarb were fab this year. This is what I picked this morning.

apple - charles ross, pear- williams, apple - spartan, apple - worcester pearmain, fig - brunswick, grape - pheonix, fig - brown turkey, peach - avalon pride, nectarine - madame blanchette, apple - bramley and plum - vitoria

Name:	DSCF5457.jpg
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	2380327

Comment

Norfolkgrey, I really want a peach tree and a fig tree. How's the flavour of the Avalon's? How do the Brown Turkeys compare with the Brunswicks?

I had a brown turkey in a pot once, it was only about two feet tall, but the single ripe fig that I got from it was the best fig I've ever eaten. Then I left it in the care of my mother for a couple of years and it did not survive

Comment

Originally posted by self-contained View Post
                            Norfolkgrey, I really want a peach tree and a fig tree. How's the flavour of the Avalon's? How do the Brown Turkeys compare with the Brunswicks?

I had a brown turkey in a pot once, it was only about two feet tall, but the single ripe fig that I got from it was the best fig I've ever eaten. Then I left it in the care of my mother for a couple of years and it did not survive
                            I would definitely rate Avalons Pride. The flavour is only that of a supermarket peach but least you can pick it yourself when it is ripe. It may benefit a bit with a bit of faff and protection. But the actual trees have established quickly. They put on plenty of growth. Last year they didn't fruit as I lost them to a late frost. But I honestly, honestly have done stuff all (no fleece or coverings etc.). I did start to spray for leaf curl (home made salad dressing in oil) but I didn't keep it up. All though they are meant to be resistant they do still suffer a little bit. This is IMO a great beginner tree and variety.

Brunswick is sweeter and juicier/moister than Brown Turkey. However the fruits are smaller and still ooze the milky latex stuff when picked so you can't use the whole fruit. I think somewhere down the line a may add another variety of fig. My Brunswick fig established and fruited several years quicker than Brown Turkey, no idea if this is normal. I can always send you cuttings back from each with your circle stuff if you would like.

Edit: Looking online at Brunswick mine may not be. I think it is more a case of it is young and has had reduced sun and water, but thought I better just warn you.
                            Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 25-08-2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I'm most proud of turning a garden that was completely overgrown with trees and shrubs for about a decade into a place with a lawn, raised beds and a greenhouse that after 3 years is really starting to produce some great home grown food. Still a work in progress but really proud that we have done it all ourselves and learned so much.

Comment

This year I am proud of

Digging out 4-6 layers of carpet and weeds to make 3 more beds

Name:	IMG_1303.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	2380332

Name:	IMG_1521.JPG
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	2380333

Plenty of fresh veg for a good couple of months now - to the point that OH refused to eat anything other than cheese on toast for dinner yesterday due to ‘vegetable overload’:

Name:	IMG_1476.JPG
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	2380335

And a few personal bests =easy in second growing season

Name:	IMG_1526.JPG
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	2380334 cauliflower is my favourite so far

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X