X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i give it 2-3 watering cans full every other day atm ,they are 5 liter cans
    The Dude abides.

Comment

Should do the trick - blackberry and apple crumble in prospect ;-)

Comment

that would be nice but tbh im not sure they will make it off the plot ,they taste great
        The Dude abides.

Comment

Can I ask how the various varieties went this year. ?
          I am doing some planning on the remaining half day shaded, damper area thats left. Some is destined for rhubarb and intend to put a blackberry in other half. Reading the below Chester seems good for shady and have read it resists root disease on wetter soil sites. Says good taste however the rhs trial questions that. Its a later one but as find autumn raspberries avoid raspberry beetle so hopefully would a later blackberry

https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/frui...-varieties.php

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/planttrials/T...02013-2015.pdf

Comment

The Vine's Growing Guide is worth a read.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/ho...hybrid-berries

Comment

Thank you VC. But I had read that before venturing off to another site, promise.
              Infact it was the below from it that helped decide on a blackberry plant as its my site to a tee except have fence rather than wall so some sun light that side too. However it wasnt too detailed on variety attributes.

While hybrid berries prefer a sunny position, blackberries are vigorous enough to be grown in partial shade, even on a north- or east-facing wall where few other edible crops are suitable. Train them along horizontal wires or fanned out across a fence or wall for best effect. With their easyto- care for, prolific nature, new berry growers won’t regret making room for these soft fruits.

Comment

I didn't know whether Babru had seen it.

The only thornless blackberry I've bought has been pathetic. Beautiful big flowers, showing lots of promise, but they never ripen.
                I do have a very prolific, thornless summat else though - maybe a tayberry, which sends out new shoots that are about 10' long and tiproot to form their own thornless thicket.

Comment

Thank you VC, I hadn't seen the growing guide, but will have a read now.

My allotmenteering friend has offered (persuaded) to root me a bit of her thorny, but prolific and tasty bramble. My reluctance re thorns has been overcome as it will be grown along a wall so no need to squeeze past and get scratched.

Who can turn down a free, recommended, plant? Hope I don't live to regret it though
                  Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Grew Waldo and Loch Ness thornless, tased very nice, different to the classic bramble.
                    One had short canes of say 10 feet, the other was longer at 15 to 18 feet. Cannot recll which was short or long.
                    Both cropped well, but just me to supply for.
                    Need to train them to differentiate each years growth.

Think they either cropped earlier or were softer then a bramble, large berries.

Comment

My thornless has been very prolific in a year where the "wild brambles" have been quite poor, but it's fair to say the thornless are not quite as tasty raw. Cooked in a crumble with some apples however they are excellent and I am still picking berries now when the wild ones have finished. Can't find the label so not sure what the variety is.

Comment

Kirk, thank you for the feedback. From what ive read Lock Ness is shorter than Waldo

Burnie, thank you for the feedback. A friend said the wild have been very poor here this year too, maybe the hot summer

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X