No announcement yet.

Maintaining a cherry tree - advice for newbie please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tree on the right looks like a cherry too - you can see a graft line a little below where the branches start, which tends to suggest it was done by someone who lived there previously, as opposed to commercially.

Comment

Originally posted by TrixC View Post
      That tree isn’t a bad shape, formative pruning has been appropriately done.
      Thanks for the advice. I've done no pruning since I moved into the house in 2015. I've no idea how old the tree is nor how to prune hence I left it. But knowing what it is now, I wanted to prune further, mainly so I could harvest more cherries.

Originally posted by TrixC View Post
      What sort of tree is that on the right?
      Not really sure. It hasn't produced any blossom or fruit but I used a free app to identify it and thought it might be another type of cherry tree too.

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
      The tree on the right looks like a cherry too - you can see a graft line a little below where the branches start, which tends to suggest it was done by someone who lived there previously, as opposed to commercially.
      Thanks. As above, that's what I got when I tried to identify the tree. Do I need to do anything to it currently, in terms of pruning? Or should I leave it alone for now?

Comment

Hi,
        You're very welcome, as before really pruning what are potentially large trees is a bit of a poor use of time and energy in my experience, since the tree if pruned too hard will quite likely either not fruit at all, or turn up its toes and die on you.

If they were mine I'd leave the existing trees almost completely alone, but buy some new fruit trees on dwarfing root-stock to replace them with gradually over the course of say 4 or 5 years.

BTW with the lanky tree on the left you might try bending the long branches down gently, and using a piece of string to tie the tops of them down in the direction of the trunk. This will mean that they are a bit lower, and the bending encourages the formation of new fruit buds.
        Cheers

Nick

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X