Another Clematis Fail

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Clematis Fail

Well I just give up with Clematis. Almost every one I plant dies despite following the guidelines with depth, aspect etc. This one was my late mum's I took from her garden 4 years ago. It has done well until now. All the stem is dry with no green, although it did show signs of life earlier this year. This meant a lot to me as it was the last thing she saw flowering. Why am I such a failure?

Gutted
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20240512_124543_edit_1450545893056784.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	2578897
    Last edited by Marb67; 12-05-2024, 11:52 AM.

You’re not a failure,you can’t control what happens with nature. I’ve seen dry straw colour stems,still with growth coming from it. One of my clematis has done the same thing this year,there was good growth a while ago,I thought it should be a lot of growth now,I looked & growth was poor,I found two big snails on the fence,they must eat all the new growth. There’s still time for more growth. Mulch around the roots if it’s in full sun,they like their roots shaded.

Comment

What sort of clematis is it?
      All mine are like that . Some need cutting back, some don't as they shoot from old growth.
      Couple of mine are very slow this year (weather).
      They like water to drain away from them not Sat in too much water, they're hungry plants too.
      Northern England.

Comment

Well it is completely dead now. Gutted as it was my late mums.

Here is a shot of it a couple of years ago in full flower. It was a lovely purple flower doing well in full sun which begs the questions why after 4 years being planted did it die ?

I don't get on with Clematis as a rule. About 70% of them cark it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Clem.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	2580878
        Last edited by Marb67; 24-06-2024, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Clematis are fussy here. We had alkt of rain and they don't like wet feet. My Abeleine has normally flowered by now but the stem broke and then it got clematis wilt and now its regrowing again and has buds.
          I've known them to do nothing and then reappear a couple of years later so don't pressume it's dead.

You didn't say what sort it was?
          Northern England.

Comment

Give it some water clematis like their head in the sun and their feet in the shade, even though you may have one growing beside a failed one , the conditions can be different, such as other plants in the area taking all the water, clematis do like moist soil, and as it is growing close to a wall it could be its not getting sufficient water
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
              Clematis are fussy here. We had alkt of rain and they don't like wet feet. My Abeleine has normally flowered by now but the stem broke and then it got clematis wilt and now its regrowing again and has buds.
              I've known them to do nothing and then reappear a couple of years later so don't pressume it's dead.

You didn't say what sort it was?
              I can't remember but its purple and spiky in flower. I lost the label

Comment

Yet another one going downhill with manky, scabby leaves and drying stems. Thus is in a wooden planter with good compost and nutrients added to it. Unbelievable how hard these things are. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240707_123931_edit_256774929401964.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	832.8 KB
ID:	2581553 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240707_123920_edit_256784449079567.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2581552

Comment

Could be clematis wilt . If it has wilting stems too.
                  The wind and rain has hammered mine. One keeps getting wilt. One is absolutely find as it grows away from wind.
                  Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X