raspberry help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
    I never get any unfruited canes on Joan J, they all ripen and produce fruit the same year. I'm guessing it's because the season is a bit longer and sunnier down here?
    Our summer starts later, or sometimes doesn't bother and autumn has been known to arrive in August, so any late shoots don't really get the chance to fruit, so they are cut to 5-6ft and tied in, I looked at them over the weekend and sideshoots are about 9-10ins long and growing well, the slower growth up here makes for a more intense flavour, making shop bought ones taste feeble as they are grown fast to sell fast, its the same as tomatoes, commercial growers cannot let them develop at their own speed, they would cost too much and they are not fully ripe when picked, taste, you wont find a better reason to grow your own..

Comment

Have noticed today that last years canes which were cut down to 3ft now have loads of new flower buds.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I'm new to all this, this year is my first year growing them on my plot 2. Up to last Sunday I had 28 dead sticks poking out the ground, 18 were bought last year and planted in 3 rows of 6 canes (3 varieties) and 10 from a plant I found whilst clearing the plot that was divided.

Sunday was relief when I checked them and most now have buds showing so embarrassment is now over with my fellow plotters. Now all I need to do is make sure I get the cutting down correct else I'll look a right Charlie if I cut them down when the shouldn't or leave 'em alone and shouldn't.
        The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Just tell them you're trying out a new method mentioned on the Vine! Remember VC's advice:-

If its dead, cut it out,
          If its alive, do nowt.

That's all there is to it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X