raspberry help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
    I'm the only one in the family who admits to liking raspberries.
    You won't be once they taste JoanJ's.............anyways I digress. If I remember rightly, there was no reduction in crop or the fruit size. Doing it this way gives you pickings from around June/July through to December.
    Last edited by Bigmallly; 21-03-2017, 10:38 AM.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I have tried the same approach with Joan J. That is, leaving some fruited canes on to give an early crop while the main Autumn crop is developing.

It worked, but I didn't think the early crop was as flavourful as the main one and because I'd removed two thirds of the canes it wasn't a very large crop either. Although the main crop seemed unaffected.

But I'm not doing it this year, I my summer-fruiting varieties - Glen Moy then Glen Ample - have grown well enough that I've got enough early berries. And Glen Ample rivals Joan J for berry size and flavour, in my opinion.
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

A bit of Joan J spesh for Jay-ell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lX061_Fkv8
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

OK, to summarise is it fair to say that if it fruits in the summer, cut it out after harvest. If it fruits in Autumn, trim it back after harvest and if it hasn't fruited at all just leave it alone.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Can't comment on Summer varieties Jas but yes, you've got the jist for Autumn croppers.

Comment

Then why not say that in the first place

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I tried but got a bit tung tied.................

Comment

May I take this opportunity to apologise to Alan for hijacking his thread......................
                  Last edited by Bigmallly; 21-03-2017, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                    OK, to summarise is it fair to say that if it fruits in the summer, cut it out after harvest. If it fruits in Autumn, trim it back after harvest and if it hasn't fruited at all just leave it alone.
                    I don't cut out the summer fruiting canes until winter as, in my mind, they need the leaves on the summer canes to give the plant the energy to grow its new canes that will fruit the following year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                      May I take this opportunity to apologise to Alan for hijacking his thread......................
                      We are, however, sort of on topic - highly unusual for us.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

True and also informative which is strange coming from me................

Comment

What variety

Hi Alan

I have put in a few of Glen ample, mailing jewel, polana, heritage and a few more of polka

Out of them all the only ones not shouwing any like are the Glen ample

Originally posted by alan4heidi View Post
                          bought 10 raspberry canes [ 5 in each pot ] put them in the ground 4 weeks ago and they are just sitting there about 15" tall, nothing in the way of growth has happened.
                          do I need to cut them back , each one is just a single stick with roots. my wife bought 5 packets of custard powder and keeps asking where the raspberries are, any help please thank you alan

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                            I have tried the same approach with Joan J. That is, leaving some fruited canes on to give an early crop while the main Autumn crop is developing.

It worked, but I didn't think the early crop was as flavourful as the main one and because I'd removed two thirds of the canes it wasn't a very large crop either. Although the main crop seemed unaffected.

But I'm not doing it this year, I my summer-fruiting varieties - Glen Moy then Glen Ample - have grown well enough that I've got enough early berries. And Glen Ample rivals Joan J for berry size and flavour, in my opinion.
                            don't leave fruited canes over the winter, just the unfruited ones, easy to tell as they look fresh while the fruited ones look ragged. the overwintered stems will put out side shoots which will give extra lovely tasting fruit, a lot better and more than you would get off fruited canes..

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
                              don't leave fruited canes over the winter, just the unfruited ones, easy to tell as they look fresh while the fruited ones look ragged. the overwintered stems will put out side shoots which will give extra lovely tasting fruit, a lot better and more than you would get off fruited canes..
                              I never get any unfruited canes on Joan J, they all ripen and produce fruit the same year. I'm guessing it's because the season is a bit longer and sunnier down here?
                              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

With summer fruiting rasps you leave the unfruited canes to fruit next year but with some autumn fruiting rasps you cut back the canes that have fruited to below the first flower (or to about 3 foot depending on who your listening to) and they'll fruit in summer as well.

Haven't done this myself yet but may give it a go - however judging by the way my raspberries are growing I may NOT want that extra fruit

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X