Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I planted my cherry tree yesterday now it looks sick.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
    Where are you?
    I am from the South East in a place called Essex.

Comment

I'd take the cover off both trees right now,it will be about a hundred degrees or so in there today. Replace the cover at night for a few days,the cherry should get used to being outside & fine without a greenhouse. Bugs love fruit tree leaves,I don't think I've ever seen one with perfect leaves,sap sucking insects cause brown marks on leaves,but only on a tiny percentage of the leaf,so all will be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
        I'd take the cover off both trees right now,it will be about a hundred degrees or so in there today. Replace the cover at night for a few days,the cherry should get used to being outside & fine without a greenhouse. Bugs love fruit tree leaves,I don't think I've ever seen one with perfect leaves,sap sucking insects cause brown marks on leaves,but only on a tiny percentage of the leaf,so all will be ok.
        Before work I lifted the cover up but not all the way off to let air in to them. When I got home I took them out and will put them back in tonight.

Will this shelter be OK to use in the winter when it gets really cold?

Comment

The only tree to worry about really is the orange tree & it would be too cold for it in the winter like that,unless you could insulate it & have it in a sheltered position,next to a south facing wall or in a conservatory or on a windowsill. I'd like an orange tree but I've nowhere to put one,I don't have a greenhouse although that could be too cold for them too,some people heat their greenhouses so the temp doesn't drop too low. The cherry tree should be alright outside against a wall or fence for shelter from the winds that are a lot lighter now than they were the other day,that was a strange couple of stormy days.

Comment

Jungle Jane: If I made a shelter to keep the cold out Won't I need to use something that would still let sun light thought in the day time?

I was thinking about making a wooden box with Polystyrene on the walls. Then put something on the top that will let light in just one idea I was thinking of.

Comment

It needs light all round, not just overhead.
              You may need to bring the orange tree indoors over winter, in a south facing window so that it gets the most light.
              The cherry tree will be OK outside over winter but it will still benefit from a sheltered, sunny position.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                It needs light all round, not just overhead.
                You may need to bring the orange tree indoors over winter, in a south facing window so that it gets the most light.
                The cherry tree will be OK outside over winter but it will still benefit from a sheltered, sunny position.
                I guess it's back the the drawing board for me lol.
                All my windows are to high and I can't put it on the Window seal because it's in a 15'' pot.

I will have to get my thinking cap on.

Comment

I was reading last night & some people use Christmas tree lights on their citrus trees undercover to keep the frost off,good luck with it I hope it grows well.

Comment

I was reading last night & some people use Christmas tree lights on their citrus trees undercover to keep the frost off,good luck with it I hope it grows well.
                    I did hear about Christmas lights but I did not think they put out much heat. I may have to look in to this and buy some. Do I put the lights around the pot and on the compost. The orange tree is not very strong so I would not be able to put them on the plant or it would full over lol

Comment

Originally posted by Islander1 View Post
                      I guess it's back the the drawing board for me lol.
                      All my windows are to high and I can't put it on the Window seal because it's in a 15'' pot.
                      Put a table near the window and stand the pot on that!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        Put a table near the window and stand the pot on that!
                        That's a good idea if you can? This is the thread I was reading with some advice regarding the lights etc I wonder if you could make a bamboo teepee to wrap lights around for cold nights,loads of time to plan.
                        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...-uk_31091.html

Comment

That's a good idea if you can? This is the thread I was reading with some advice regarding the lights etc I wonder if you could make a bamboo teepee to wrap lights around for cold nights,loads of time to plan.
                          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...-uk_31091.html
                          Thank you all for your help.

I have my plants over night in something very simimler to a teepee with two large clear plast bags on. But I need to make it bigger as it only fits 2 plants now and will need to house 4 15" plant pots. When it comes to lights are you talking about fairy light the ones you put battery's in?

Comment

You're welcome,in the link it mentions the rope lighting providing more heat.

Comment

Islander, the weather is warm enough now not to worry too much, as long as the trees are not in a wind tunnel. Come the cooler nights, you'll need to take the orange tree indoors somewhere light - like near a window.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X